Internationalization / Translation

Discussions around miscellaneous technologies and projects for the general membership.
The_Earl

Internationalization / Translation

Post by The_Earl »

Is there a need for translation help on church projects?

One thing that struck me about the LDSOSS projects is that even the ones with a few warts were translated into HUNDREDS of languages.

I assume the church already has a group that does the translation, but it would seem to be a trivial task to publish lists of strings and get translations of them. You could add peer review if you were worried about bad data coming back.

Even if the church is not interested in such a project, it might be useful for OSS developers to have such a resource.

Somewhat related, does the church need testing materials for different languages? Things like documents in strange character sets can be hard to come by. Would an archive of such things be useful?

Thanks
Barrie
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

The Earl wrote:Is there a need for translation help on church projects?

One thing that struck me about the LDSOSS projects is that even the ones with a few warts were translated into HUNDREDS of languages.
This is something I have evangelized for quite some time. Organizationally we are not ready but it is something we are looking at.

Tom

Return to “Other Member Technologies”