Translation Devices vs Apps

Discussions around miscellaneous technologies and projects for the general membership.
jtsteele

Translation Devices vs Apps

Post by jtsteele »

Has anybody switched from traditional devices used for transmitting meeting translations (e.g., Spanish translations of our Stake Conference) to an app-based solution? Rather than continuing to maintain and/or replace aging equipment, we’re debating whether to switch to one that allows the listeners to receive the translation transmissions on their own phones or devices.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Translation Devices vs Apps

Post by russellhltn »

I believe FM will help pay for the translation equipment. But if you go the app route, it comes out of the ward/stake activity budget.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
OliVDB5590

Post by OliVDB5590 »

I would be interesting in app solutions as well, as our branch here in Russia can't really ask for too much funding since we don't have a lot of people do talk to to begin with...
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Last night at a large gathering of members where several apostles spoke, members who needed Spanish interpretation were asked to download a free app called Interactio and given a password that would allow them to listen in Spanish on their phones. The location seated up to 50,000 members. This is also an Interactio limit, which may have kept some from connecting at the beginning of the devotional.

The site was overwhelmed at first, but settled down and worked pretty well afterward. There is a cost involved in originating the interpretation. I do not know what it is, or whether it is a one-time charge or not.
jtsteele

Post by jtsteele »

Thanks for the info! I'll check it out.

Return to “Other Member Technologies”