Move Media Player doesn't work with MS Vista

Discussions around miscellaneous technologies and projects for the general membership.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Thanks to all for the info and help. At least I guessed right that JS=Java Script and not the topic of many of our priesthood lessons this year. [grin]

An update. Today, Move Networks usually does not load BYU-TV when I hit the bookmark. But if I wait a bit, then click on refresh, it loads and runs. I think that would indicate the problem is probably on my machine. But, refresh does not always work. Only about 2/3 of the time.

For the record, I am using FireFox 3 and WinXP Pro on a 1.81 gig AMD processor. The video card is a little sketchy (SiS 760) and that may be part of the display problem when it is working.
doylea

still doesn't work

Post by doylea »

Thanks for the ideas. Unfortunately, none of them have helped.

I have tried Firefox and have the same problems with that as I do with IE. As this is my personal computer (as opposed to the family computer) I don't have Cybersitter or anything like that installed, as another user suggested. I really don't think that there is anything blocking the network connection.

Also, there do not appear to be any Javascript errors as another suggested.

While I understand that the problem is with the Move player, I don't agree with the attitude that the Church and others who provide video using the Move Networks services bear no responsibility for assisting those who have problems. As a software developer, I am well aware that if my software (or Web site, in this case) doesn't work for a certain group of users because of a third-party control (i.e. the Move media player) that I decided to use, then my software is useless for that group of users. If I want people to use my software, then I should do everything in my power to help. Oh, and as I mentioned in my first post, I have tried contacting Move Networks directly, and they don't seem to care either.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

nadador wrote:As a software developer, I am well aware that if my software (or Web site, in this case) doesn't work for a certain group of users because of a third-party control (i.e. the Move media player) that I decided to use, then my software is useless for that group of users. If I want people to use my software, then I should do everything in my power to help.
A concerned Church employee, who was reading the forum when this subject first came up, e-mailed me privately some time ago. I provided all of the information to him that I had provided to Move Networks, along with a set of screen shots. He said he was going to forward them to Move Networks, and he probably did, apparently with the same result I had.

Judging from my google searches, my guess is that Move is still trying to solve the problem for more than just the Church.

But, I agree with your basic premise. If the site does not work, I usually go to the site owner, not the maker of the bells and whistles the site uses.

By the way, do I have to use Silverlight to run the latest Move Networks? They sure make it appear so, but I am trying not to. The terms are a little too onerous for me, although they are probably just a written description of today's reality. (Which makes me even more nervous.)
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

nadador wrote:While I understand that the problem is with the Move player, I don't agree with the attitude that the Church and others who provide video using the Move Networks services bear no responsibility for assisting those who have problems. As a software developer, I am well aware that if my software (or Web site, in this case) doesn't work for a certain group of users because of a third-party control (i.e. the Move media player) that I decided to use, then my software is useless for that group of users. If I want people to use my software, then I should do everything in my power to help. Oh, and as I mentioned in my first post, I have tried contacting Move Networks directly, and they don't seem to care either.
I'll agree with you to an extent that the Church should provide some support, but not being the creator of the plugin, there will be only so much they can do. Perhaps they have some insider contact information or special relations with Move Networks that they can exercise. As for the unresponsiveness from Move Networks, that is really unfortunate, as I think they would be the best candidate to troubleshoot and fix the problem.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

lajackson wrote:By the way, do I have to use Silverlight to run the latest Move Networks?
From what I just researched, Silverlight is not the technology base for the Move Media Player. In fact, from Wikipedia it says that the company makes a custom media player for each client. Thier own website said the player can be customized using either HTML or Flash.

The Wikipedia article on them is actually pretty interesting. I knew they were here in Utah, and I just now put 2 and 2 together to realize they're building is about 1 mile from my house! I could go knock on their door and hand them the link to this thread...I was only saying this in jest, but I might actually try to do it (just not right in the middle of Christmas vacations). If I don't report back in a week, send me a reminder by posting in this thread.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

lajackson wrote:ABy the way, do I have to use Silverlight to run the latest Move Networks? They sure make it appear so, but I am trying not to. The terms are a little too onerous for me, although they are probably just a written description of today's reality. (Which makes me even more nervous.)
No you do not have to use Silverlight to run the latest Move Networks Player. I anticipated I would have problems when I installed the MN Player without Silverlight. I went ahead with the install without Silverlight and everything works just fine for the MN Player. Of course I have only used MN PLayer at BYU TV.

For those who are reading this thread and do not have Move Networks Player browser addin installed, during the install of the MN Player there is a point where you are asked if you want to install Silverlight. There is no explanation and the prompt for the Silverlight istall occurs after you have begun the MN Player install. It therefore appears to be a required part of the MN Player install.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

jdlessley wrote:No you do not have to use Silverlight to run the latest Move Networks Player. I anticipated I would have problems when I installed the MN Player without Silverlight. I went ahead with the install without Silverlight and everything works just fine for the MN Player. Of course I have only used MN PLayer at BYU TV.

For those who are reading this thread and do not have Move Networks Player browser addin installed, during the install of the MN Player there is a point where you are asked if you want to install Silverlight. There is no explanation and the prompt for the Silverlight istall occurs after you have begun the MN Player install. It therefore appears to be a required part of the MN Player install.
Interesting. That must be a recent development. I wonder if Microsoft approached Move Networks to try and form a partnership or something.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

mkmurray wrote:Interesting. That must be a recent development. I wonder if Microsoft approached Move Networks to try and form a partnership or something.
I think you may have misread my post. When I said "It therefore appears to be a required part of the MN Player install" I should have said "It therefore appears to be, but is not, a required part of the MN Player install".
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

I think mkmurray was referring to a marketing partnership.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I just went to BYU TV and went to view. I noticed it said "Beta" and there was a link that said if you were having problems you could go back to the prior version.

The player upgraded itself. At the end it said "Would you like to install Silverlight". (I clicked cancel). It did play but seem to run about half speed.

Like mkmurray, I think this is a recent development and may be a sign of partnership between Movie Networks and Microsoft. (Much the same way Adobe Reader offers to install Google Toolbar)
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Other Member Technologies”