Move Media Player doesn't work with MS Vista

Discussions around miscellaneous technologies and projects for the general membership.
doylea

Move Media Player doesn't work with MS Vista

Post by doylea »

I have been using the Move Media Player successfully for at least 2 years to view BYUTV (www.byu.tv) on both Win2000 and WinXP computers. Initially I was excited to see that the lds.org site is using it to broadcast General Conference. So, I installed the Move Media Player on my new Vista (Ultimate) computer. However, when trying to view the video feed, my browser window locked up completely. It does not matter which video feed I try (byu.tv, lds.org, movenetworks.com test), none of them work. I have tried several things to get it to work:

- uninstalled Move Media Player and reinstalled
- disabled all anti-virus and software firewall programs
- disabled Aero as suggested in the FAQ
- installed the old version of the Move Media Player and tried the old feed at byu.tv
- updated the Java runtime on my computer (one of the Vista forums suggested this)

I believe this to be an issue only with Vista, because I have a WinXP machine with the latest version of the Move Media Player that works without issue. As it is becoming more and more difficult for the average home user to purchase a Windows computer with WinXP, I believe that the Move Media Player incompatibility is a serious issue that needs to be addressed rather quickly. I am not the only one experiencing issues with this. I have done several Google searches for "move media player vista" and found many users with problems to report, but no workable solutions. I have also attempted to get the attention of Move Networks by sending e-mail to them, but they are unresponsive.

Anybody care to work on this?
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

That's interesting. I'm having no problems running the Move Player with Vista Ultimate and Firefox. I tried some of the links you provided and after a brief pause, they came up just fine. The first time I tried the Move Player was to watch General Conference and was very impressed with the quality. Just now I tried www.byu.tv with IE7 where it prompted me to install the Move Player. After installation, everything worked fine there too.

I sure wish I could help, but for me Vista and Move seem to play very well together.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

nadador wrote:Anybody care to work on this?
I run Vista Ultimate as well and I have no issues either.

Just to be clear, the Church did not create nor do they own the Move Media player. For that reason, your plea for someone to work on the issue will likely not be answered by any Church employee.

Now if you were asking the Community in general, then that's a different request. However, I bet you will have more success contacting the company directly: http://www.movenetworks.com/company/contactus

If anyone here has ideas to fix the issue or the original poster comes upon a solution, please feel free to post here though. This issue is quite relevant as there are many Church sites utilizing this media player plugin.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

I would have to agree with nadador about the (un)responsiveness of Move Media, since I still have not been able to solve any of the video problems I am having with WinXP Pro. I think that is why he asked here to see if anyone had any ideas.

If you google the Vista problem, there are some suggestions online that may help, which include the order of installation of some programs. As I read the information, it appeared that reinstalling them in a different order often solves the problem.

The only responses I have received from Move Media are automated spitbacks of their online help files. This is a bit frustrating, because I read all of them first and tried all of the suggestions there. Once I wrote back and pointed that out to them, asking for additional assistance, the automated help segments started coming back again, so I figured they either don't know how to solve the problem or don't care.

I told them that, too. It didn't seem to phase them.

By way of a Church office employee, I also sent screen shots of the problem to them. No response.

The end. Sad story.

Especially, since there is no other source for some video information I would very much like to be able to view. It would be nice if the Church were to consider that in its planning, as well.

I have seen demonstrations of Move Media when it is working. It is a marvelous program. I would like to be able to share in the marvel.
bloveridge

some ideas

Post by bloveridge »

A friend of mine had a similar issue the other day. Turned out it was a problem with the CyberSitter content filtering program. My suggestion to him was try disabling any program that touches the Internet connection in any way, and that is how he tracked it down to CyberSitter. My first suggestion to you would be the same, try turning off any program that touches your network connections at all, not just antivirus and known firewalls. This includes programs like Ad Block Plus if you are using Firefox -- I have had that issue myself more than once, and ended up having to add all Move-enabled sites to my whitelist.

The second thing I'd recommend is trying it in both IE and Firefox. If IE7 doesn't work, try Firefox 2, or Firefox 3.

Third I'd suggest making sure your video card and system drivers are all up to date, that was one of the more common fixes I saw when I was looking for Vista + Move Media Player issues.

Barring any of those things working, maybe post some screenshots of what is happening. Are there JS errors being thrown? That was what happened with CyberSitter. Screenshots may not tell anything, but then again they might.

Best of luck, hopefully we can find something that works for you.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

terminon wrote:try Firefox 2, or Firefox 3.
Are there JS errors being thrown?
I upgraded to Firefox 3 and installed the Move Networks plugin. Nothing changed, except that now all of my browsing is slower.

Day before yesterday, I was asked to install a Move Networks upgrade. After that, I totally lost the ability to view anything. And my browser hangs and nearly shuts down if I try to go to the BYU TV site.

I know this is not the place to troubleshoot this issue. I can see from googling that this seems to be a big problem.

I am writing only to report back that I tried everything you suggested with no improvement, and that in the process of Move Networks and Java updates, I have lost what I had.

Also, I do not understand what you mean by JS errors (JavaScript?), and if so, I do not know how to find them. No error messages are appearing on screen. I do not know where to look in a log.

I will keep googling and working solutions. The trouble is, these computers are becoming so complicated, that it is difficult to know what suggestions are legitimate and how to make them work. The CP/M days, when it was easy to see everything that was happening, are long gone.

This reminds me of the time the units in one of our buildings went more than a month without connecting to SL. For weeks, we troubleshot all over the place, but when the dust settled, the only problem was that the phone line was at 14.4 kbps, and MLS would time out before the modem stepped down that low to pick up the line.

It was an exciting few weeks, and I learned a whole lot about how MLS connects to the world during the process. [grin]

But, the answer was very simple, so simple, in fact, that it was almost not discovered.

Gotta love technology.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

lajackson wrote:Also, I do not understand what you mean by JS errors (JavaScript?), and if so, I do not know how to find them. No error messages are appearing on screen. I do not know where to look in a log.
So here's how to see JavaScript errors in IE7: http://www.testingreflections.com/node/view/4009

As for Firefox, it appears you go to the Tools menu and open up the JavaScript Console in order to view errors and log messages.
bloveridge

BYU not working for me either, but CW is

Post by bloveridge »

mkmurray wrote:So here's how to see JavaScript errors in IE7: http://www.testingreflections.com/node/view/4009

As for Firefox, it appears you go to the Tools menu and open up the JavaScript Console in order to view errors and log messages.
Good info. And I apologize for writing JS instead of JavaScript, I work with it all day and apparently used the acronym without thinking.

As for BYU.tv not working -- you are not alone. It appears that a server somewhere is not responding, as I can't see any video there right now either, but I can watch just fine at CW (also powered by Move Networks). If you want to see if your Move Media Player is working right now, while BYU.tv is down, try going here:

http://cwtv.com/cw-video/everybody-hate ... y=288-4956

I just confirmed that this video is playing fine for me, although nothing is playing at BYU.tv. Make sure to turn off any ad blockers like Ad Block or Ad Block Plus before going to the CW site -- they have preroll ads and if you block them, you will never get to the video content.

You can also try completely uninstalling and then re-installing the Move Media Player plug-in. Sometimes a fresh install can fix weird problems. Uninstall instructions are here:

http://www.byu.tv/support/faq.html#uninstall

You can try installing from both the CW and BYU.tv -- they are currently using different versions of the plug-in. If you go this route, I'd try first installing from the CW website (they use an older version than BYU.tv right now) and see if you can watch CW content. If you can: great. If not: try installing from byu.tv. Then, in case BYU.tv still is having server issues, try going back to CW. If you can watch still: great. If you couldn't watch before but can now: great. If you could watch before, but not now: there is probably some problem with the new version not working on your computer.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

lajackson wrote:The trouble is, these computers are becoming so complicated, that it is difficult to know what suggestions are legitimate and how to make them work. The CP/M days, when it was easy to see everything that was happening, are long gone.
Ah yes, CP/M. :) I think you are not far from the truth. Those running the Move Media Player with Vista seem to fall into 2 camps: those with little or no problems and those up to their eyeballs with problems. What may work for some to get it working, may not work for others. I'm thinking there might be a commonality among those with problems, but I haven't done any research into it, since I find myself in the first group. :p

Seriously, it could be something as simple as those with iTunes installed and those that don't, or any number of common applications and/or utilities. I will shortly have several virtual machines running where I can experiment with different combinations of Vista installs, but I'm not quite there yet.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
bloveridge

Post by bloveridge »

Mikerowaved wrote:I will shortly have several virtual machines running where I can experiment with different combinations of Vista installs, but I'm not quite there yet.
Best of luck to you with that, but I think you will find that this does not provide you with a viable testing environment. The Move Media Player relies heavily upon DirectX 9, which is poorly supported by OS virtualization programs -- even those that 'support it' do not fully support it, and some things that will work fine in your native OS will fail consistently in virtual machines. So, I wish you the best of luck, but don't be surprised if your array of virtual machines doesn't give you all the results you hope for. At any rate, virtualized operating systems are not supported by Move and if you run into problems there they probably will tell you to run it natively.

Return to “Other Member Technologies”