Auto-Generate Stake Directories

Discussions around miscellaneous technologies and projects for the general membership.
rhusted-p40
New Member
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:00 am
Location: Madison, WI

Auto-Generate Stake Directories

Postby rhusted-p40 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:39 pm

It would be great to create a utility that would take the existing stake membership list, existing stake calendar, and generate a Stake Directory in DOC, PDF, RTF and/or other formats. This is the time of year when a lot of stakes expend countless hours formatting member data and pulling together the calendars to produce stake directories. It's a time consuming task and one that could be solved one time for everyone IMHO. Most of the directories I've seen over the years (in California, Colorado and Wisconsin - I don't remember seeing them in Utah as much) are nearly identical, with few variations. It would be great to have a standard format and be able to generate it at the push of a button.

It might also be nice to use Church publishing to print these, rather than paying local publishers... assuming that the Church publishing would be less expensive. In locations outside of Salt Lake this is a burdensome task for a few members in the Stake every year - so it would be nice to solve it one time for everyone.

Related projects could include:
1. ward phone lists
2. Relief Society lists
a. phone lists
b. mailing labels

Perhaps the list generator could be coded in DHTML so that a leader could move the various data elements around to get the precise formatting they wanted?

russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 20755
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Postby russellhltn » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:42 pm

Directories that go out of date almost before they're printed.

For the most part, we stopped doing ours. We refer them to the unit webpage (LUWS)
Have you searched the Wiki?
Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

rhusted-p40
New Member
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:00 am
Location: Madison, WI

Postby rhusted-p40 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:53 pm

Agreed. However, there are some areas where internet access is not yet ubiquitous and the members prefer to have a hardcopy directory. Those Stakes continue to produce the hardcopy directories.

Wards and Relief Societies will likely always produce phonelists and mailing lists - until internet access comes standard with a new car. :) So the ability to auto-generate a phonelist would continue to be useful for many years to come.

-------
To understand recursion, you must first understand recursion.

User avatar
cottrells
Member
Posts: 99
Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:14 am
Location: Bournemouth, UK
Contact:

Postby cottrells » Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:11 am

Also not all areas of the world have LUWS. We've just completed our stake calendar and directory for 2009. Yes a small percentage will be out-of-date the moment it is published but it is a very useful/requested document that we produce.

mongi3
New Member
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat May 31, 2008 2:55 pm
Location: Arizona, USA

LDS Compact Ward Directory

Postby mongi3 » Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:50 pm

Old thread, but for anyone who may stumble across it in the future...

While not specifically designed for stake directories, I wrote a program for ward/branches that may be of interest to you. The project is called LDS Compact Directory and can be found here:http://ldscompactdir.sourceforge.net

This program can read either MLS or LUWS exported data and churn out a PDF file with very minimal effort. It will attempt to put everything on 1 page front and back. If that would shrink the text too much it forces additional pages. Just check some boxes and mash a button and your on your way.

Screenshot of some sample output:
Image

Check out the page above for more info.
Attachments
output_pdf.jpg
output_pdf.jpg (15.1 KiB) Viewed 548 times

elderlarryhawkes-p40
Member
Posts: 56
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:06 pm

Postby elderlarryhawkes-p40 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:07 pm

mongi3 wrote:Old thread, but for anyone who may stumble across it in the future...

While not specifically designed for stake directories, I wrote a program for ward/branches that may be of interest to you. The project is called LDS Compact Directory and can be found here:http://ldscompactdir.sourceforge.net

This program can read either MLS or LUWS exported data and churn out a PDF file with very minimal effort. It will attempt to put everything on 1 page front and back. If that would shrink the text too much it forces additional pages. :DJust check some boxes and mash a button and your on your way. :D
Check out the page above for more info.


I bolded the line in the quote because it is true. What a slick easy tool. This should just be a feature built right into MLS. It even works with the new format of the MLS 3.1 export files.
Thanks for creating this tool, it's great.;):)

ruggio
New Member
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:06 pm
Location: La Verne, CA USA

Pocket size Stake Directory

Postby ruggio » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:54 pm

I am brand new to this forum.

This past year I decided to fill the void in our area to provide the 2010 La Verne Stake Directory. The past two printers had gone out of business and we will be providing Stake Directories to our members for at least the next 5 years.

I am semi-retired but very experienced in the electronic Pre-Press industry so I had the experience and the contacts to print the directory.

What surprised me was the amount of man-hours that was spent providing the data needed.

After my bid to the Stake was accepted I decided to contact other Stakes in my area to see how many of them had the same problem of finding a printer at a reasonable cost. I ended up doing 6 Stake Directories in my area. Working as a print broker I did make money on these directories both as a broker and in the Pre-Press area that is my area of expertise.

What surprised me was the amount of man-hours that each Stake spent providing me with the data files. The lowest was 20 hours by a very experienced software person. The most was 70 hours.

My background is software design going back for 42 years. As I talked to each member I decided that what they needed was a software program that could generate the data in a format that a printer understood.

My goal is to develop a C# program that will reduce the time spent to less than three hours.

My program will be developed in three stages. Stage 1 will reformat a CSV data file into a CSV data file with telephone, last name husband & wife, address, and a two digit zip code. Stage 2 will make the program interactive where the user can control, correct, and format the data into actual pages. Stage 3 will attack the calendar problem.

Those of you who are interested can contact me at stan_ruggio@yahoo.com.

lajackson
Community Moderators
Posts: 6138
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:27 pm
Location: US

Postby lajackson » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:52 pm

ruggio wrote:. . . and a two digit zip code.


Would it be difficult to make it the last three digits of the zip code, or does that mess up the formatting? Two digits are not unique in most of our wards.

f79-p40
New Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:50 pm
Location: Lima Peru Surco

Postby f79-p40 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:59 pm

rhusted wrote:It would be great to create a utility that would take the existing stake membership list, existing stake calendar, and generate a Stake Directory in DOC, PDF, RTF and/or other formats. This is the time of year when a lot of stakes expend countless hours formatting member data and pulling together the calendars to produce stake directories. It's a time consuming task and one that could be solved one time for everyone IMHO. Most of the directories I've seen over the years (in California, Colorado and Wisconsin - I don't remember seeing them in Utah as much) are nearly identical, with few variations. It would be great to have a standard format and be able to generate it at the push of a button.

It might also be nice to use Church publishing to print these, rather than paying local publishers... assuming that the Church publishing would be less expensive. In locations outside of Salt Lake this is a burdensome task for a few members in the Stake every year - so it would be nice to solve it one time for everyone.

Related projects could include:
1. ward phone lists
2. Relief Society lists
a. phone lists
b. mailing labels

Perhaps the list generator could be coded in DHTML so that a leader could move the various data elements around to get the precise formatting they wanted?

holaaa amigos de la iglesia soy nuevo en este foro y me gustaria saber un poco mas sobre como se puede algunas cosa del sistema de la iglesia espero poder terner mas conocimiento sobre dicho sistema o compartir conocimiento dentro de lo establecido claro

User avatar
mkmurray
Senior Member
Posts: 3241
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:56 pm
Location: Utah
Contact:

Postby mkmurray » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:43 pm

f79 wrote:holaaa amigos de la iglesia soy nuevo en este foro y me gustaria saber un poco mas sobre como se puede algunas cosa del sistema de la iglesia espero poder terner mas conocimiento sobre dicho sistema o compartir conocimiento dentro de lo establecido claro

This is all I got from Google Translate:
holaaa church friends I'm new to this forum and I would like to know a little more about how can some thing the church system Terner hope to more knowledge about the system or share the knowledge within clearly established
Many questions are already answered on the LDSTech wiki. Check it out!


Return to “Other Member Technologies”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest