RFID access in new buildings

Discussions around miscellaneous technologies and projects for the general membership.
mevans

RFID access in new buildings

Post by mevans »

I see there's some discussions on the boards about using RFIDs for meetinghouses. None of those threads seemed appropriate to add to, as they were about Marlok, which is out of business.

I happened to visit the Gilbert Temple open house and noticed that there was an RFID reader by one of the temple doors. I also noticed them on some of the doors in the stake center (outside doors, material center). I didn't really get a chance to look at things, but found it interesting that maybe the church has adopted an RFID solution?

The one on the temple looked like a standard HID model I've seen on many office buildings. The ones in the stake center were smaller and not something I recognized offhand.

Does anyone know what the church is doing with the RFIDs on buildings now?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: RFID access in new buildings

Post by russellhltn »

Based on the old threads, I doubt if the church as a whole is moving in any direction - at least for meetinghouses. RFID is more expensive than traditional key systems. I suspect it's something decided at the local level based on experience. (Like how many times they've had to rekey everything.)
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
JParnett

Post by JParnett »

during my mission in Philadelphia the inter-city building that i went to was equipped with RFID key fob instead of giving out keys. the advantage is that they could program what fob had access to different things. also they could know who owned the key or even disable one specifically.
MattOlander

Post by MattOlander »

We are getting our locks updated in our building and we were told that the key fob has been removed from the spec and they are using medico keys both internal and external. :(
jimpacker

Post by jimpacker »

I live in the Phoenix Arizona west valley area and all three of our stake buildings were changed from standard metal keys to RFID access with fobs for exterior doors and library access about 4 or 5 years ago. Clerk's offices and bishop's office are still accessed by key only. I do not know about future plans. In theory the fobs can be deactivated or reprogrammed to change access. However, only the FM group has access to do that at present and they have been so busy with other items that we wait for months for something to be programmed. We were told we could have access but that was 10 months ago and we still have not been granted access....so I don't know whether we ever will. As stake clerk, I was asked to get access by the stake president but am told it will happen and then it doesn't....repeatedly. Not sure why....
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jimpacker wrote:As stake clerk, I was asked to get access by the stake president but am told it will happen and then it doesn't....repeatedly. Not sure why....
I'd report back to the stake president and have him push from his end.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mevans

Post by mevans »

Maybe they'll connect the system to LCR and we'll have calling-based building access ;)
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

mevans wrote:Maybe they'll connect the system to LCR and we'll have calling-based building access ;)
I'd like it connected to the calendar, so events would have to be scheduled before the building could be used. :D

Return to “Other Member Technologies”