Resource Center Tracking System

Discussions around miscellaneous technologies and projects for the general membership.
User avatar
jtwitchell
Member
Posts: 52
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:05 am
Location: Chandler, AZ USA
Contact:

Resource Center Tracking System

Postby jtwitchell » Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:34 am

I am looking for a way to track all the material in our building's resource centers (or library if you wish). We are wanting something along the lines of freeware and something that will work on Windows 98 (sad, I know) or Linux. If there wasn't anything available, I was going to look into making a system and would love help. I was thinking of doing something with Adobe AIR just for kicks.

Here are some of our basic requirements:

  • Must be able to track multiple types of materials (video, pictures, books, magazines, etc)
  • Must be able to track information in multiple buildings (i.e. Building 1 knows what materials are in Building 2)
  • The buildings may or may not be Internet connected. (in our case, they are not)
  • Would like a way to track who has what materials currently checked out.
  • Would like to track requests for material that weren't available. This way we can determine a need to purchase more of certain items or if items are missing.
  • A history of what items are used a lot vs items not used a lot will help us too when it comes to cleaning.

Suggestions?

User avatar
opee
Member
Posts: 332
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:00 am
Location: Grand Rapids, MI

Two related threads

Postby opee » Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:04 am

Here are two related threads that might also help in your ideation...

http://tech.lds.org/forum/showthread.php?t=302

http://tech.lds.org/forum/showthread.php?t=596

User avatar
jtwitchell
Member
Posts: 52
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:05 am
Location: Chandler, AZ USA
Contact:

Other sites!

Postby jtwitchell » Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:27 pm

I knew there were some others out there interested. Thanks!

I didn't see anything pointing to a specific program, so I may still start working on one.

opee wrote:Here are two related threads that might also help in your ideation...

http://tech.lds.org/forum/showthread.php?t=302

http://tech.lds.org/forum/showthread.php?t=596

User avatar
jtwitchell
Member
Posts: 52
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:05 am
Location: Chandler, AZ USA
Contact:

New Sourceforge Project

Postby jtwitchell » Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:58 am

To get things kicked off, I have started a new project over at Sourceforge to centrally locate the files for this program. Any interested in helping out are invited to join.

Simple LDS Resource Center
http://sourceforge.net/projects/simpleldsrc/
"I reject your reality and substitute my own."

User avatar
marianomarini
Senior Member
Posts: 594
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:13 am
Location: Vicenza. Italy
Contact:

Postby marianomarini » Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:30 am

net_runner wrote:To get things kicked off, I have started a new project over at Sourceforge to centrally locate the files for this program. Any interested in helping out are invited to join.

Simple LDS Resource Center
http://sourceforge.net/projects/simpleldsrc/

I looked at this page but I don't know how to use it to join the project.
La vita è una lezione interminabile di umiltà (Anonimo).
Life is a endless lesson of humility (Anonimous).

Michael S-p40
New Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:19 pm

Delicious Library

Postby Michael S-p40 » Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:32 pm

I'm not sure how many of you are familiar with Apple or Mac OS X, but something I've sorely been wanting in our Materials Center is a Mac Mini, a copy of Delicious Library, a wireless barcode scanner, and a barcode generating application.

I've looked at a few of the threads about creating an inventory management system, and it just strikes me that Delicious Library is already about as easy to use as possible. Now, getting the Church to pay for Mac Mini's is probably not going to happen (as all I've ever seen in a meeting house have been Microsoft Windows computers). But at least I can always hope!

–Michael

User avatar
jtwitchell
Member
Posts: 52
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:05 am
Location: Chandler, AZ USA
Contact:

Sourceforge

Postby jtwitchell » Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:59 am

marianomarini_vi wrote:I looked at this page but I don't know how to use it to join the project.


To be honest, I don't know how to join a project either at this time. I will let you know when more information comes up. There isn't much there right now. I was talking with a friend about the features and such, and his first thought was to develop it in Java (so it can be used in Windows, Linux and Mac). The main thing you will see there now is documents outlining the features.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own."

pjhayward-p40
New Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:09 pm
Location: Boise, ID, USA

Sourceforge projects

Postby pjhayward-p40 » Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:11 pm

The project admin has to add you to the project. You can follow the project without being assigned to it, but if you want to be able to update anything except the forum, you need to be assigned to the project.

pjhayward-p40
New Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:09 pm
Location: Boise, ID, USA

Postby pjhayward-p40 » Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:22 pm

Michael S wrote:I'm not sure how many of you are familiar with Apple or Mac OS X, but something I've sorely been wanting in our Materials Center is a Mac Mini, a copy of Delicious Library, a wireless barcode scanner, and a barcode generating application.

I've looked at a few of the threads about creating an inventory management system, and it just strikes me that Delicious Library is already about as easy to use as possible. Now, getting the Church to pay for Mac Mini's is probably not going to happen (as all I've ever seen in a meeting house have been Microsoft Windows computers). But at least I can always hope!

–Michael

Try taking a look at Libra (http://getlibra.com)
It looks an awful lot like Delicious Library, but for Windows. (But I don't think it fits the needs of this project)

User avatar
MorettiDP
Member
Posts: 297
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:15 pm
Location: São Carlos, São Paulo, Brazil
Contact:

Postby MorettiDP » Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:49 am

I am in the last fase of my technical course and I need to program a software as an "Course Conclusion Project". I have the idea to create a Resource Center software with the same characteristics of MLS, like appearance and disposition of contents.

Obviously I can't submit to the community the software to the community to help building it before my graduation, but the software will be most simply (because I am writing it sole). After my graduation, on November I can post it to your help in develop, with all documentation and translated to English.

The program is write in Delphi 7, have some features of other library softwares and will be "donated" to the Church after the project. If the Church will adopt it or no, it isn't my problem, hehehehe ;-)
MorettiDP
São Carlos Brazil Stake Technology Specialist


Return to “Other Member Technologies”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest