Need Suggestions for mounting webcam at Stake Conference webcast

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
rgme

Post by rgme »

How did the meeting webcast go? Do you have pics of the setup? I'd love to see them. I'm looking at the different methods to implement, and I think a budget solution deserves a mention.
KeithWilson

Post by KeithWilson »

I have the same question. Our stake purchased a camera, the Sony EVI-D70, and now the Stake President has asked for my opinion on where to mount it. I have seen these type of cameras mounted at the highest part of the chapel, in the center back, (not good, bad angle), and I have seen them mounted at the bottom center of the curtain wall (the curtain that separates the chapel from the overflow). Does anyone have any ideas? It's a newer building so we are set for hard-wired Internet, and will have easy access to the mezzanine, where all the cables are.

Attached is a photo of the mount location at another stake.
SonyPanTilt.jpg
(56.35 KiB) Downloaded 143 times
Any advice on this is appreciated.
Keith
Aczlan

Post by Aczlan »

We have one mounted at the top of the wall by the "soffit" above the last row of benches on one side.
See: https://tech.lds.org/forum/showthread.p ... rogressing... for pictures and the reasoning.
It works well. It is low enough to see the projection screen when it is down (without being blocked by a light like a higher mount would be) and low enough that you dont need a ladder to put it up, but it is high enough that you dont have problems people walking in front of it.

Aaron Z
michaelfish

Post by michaelfish »

Our set up is very similar to the one in your picture.

I started by just suspending the camera from the ceiling (it was removable)...
P1010019 (Large).JPG
(39.87 KiB) Downloaded 135 times
P1010045 (Large).JPG
(49.88 KiB) Downloaded 142 times

and then converted it to a motorized retractable system.

P1010600 (Large).JPG
(66.65 KiB) Downloaded 130 times
P1010025.jpg
(95.62 KiB) Downloaded 131 times
P1010020.jpg
(95.45 KiB) Downloaded 129 times
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

michaelfish wrote:I started by just suspending the camera from the ceiling (it was removable)...
How much camera shake do you get when you pan/tilt the camera? Having used that camera on a fixed tripod, I'll bet it's quite a bit.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
michaelfish

Post by michaelfish »

How much camera shake do you get when you pan/tilt the camera?

Actually, there is barely shake any at all. If I pan 180 degrees, at the fastest setting (using presets), to the maximum zoom practical, there is barely any wobble. It is only noticable if you're looking for it. The Sony EVI-D70 camera is extremely well balanced.

We've used the camera for 5 or so conferences and the placement has been the best we could have asked for.

Sample camera angles:
2.jpg
(70.86 KiB) Downloaded 139 times
Camera Mounts.jpg
(97.86 KiB) Downloaded 137 times
Camera Positions.jpg
(69.6 KiB) Downloaded 142 times
(9/10's maximum optical zoom)
michaelfish

Post by michaelfish »

I took some test video to demonstrate how much wobbling the camera makes under the worst conditions.

To show the most wobbling the camera can make, I set a couple of presets to have the camera move and settle in opposite directions (180 degrees). The first sample is extreme optical zoom (which we don't use) but demonstrates a worst case scenario. The second sample is at about 90 percent optical zoom, (the maximum we normally use). Watch for wobble by watching the podium at the bottom of the picture. With that being said, if the camera is already pointed towards the front, there is no perceivable wobble, since the camera doesn't need to move very much at all. Zooming in or out does not seem affect wobble in any way, only extreme, jerky pan movements.

[video]http://youtu.be/uVXU-K_w8GQ[/video]

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”