How to Share a MS PowerPoint presentation while we are broadcasting...

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

michaelfish wrote:BTW, I have found that connecting the laptop to the scan converter and then connecting the scan converter to the projector has resulted in a loss of picture quality on the projector.
How is the scan converter connected to the projector? Via VGA or composite? If composite, the loss of quality is to be expected.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
michaelfish

Post by michaelfish »

RussellHltn wrote:How is the scan converter connected to the projector? Via VGA or composite? If composite, the loss of quality is to be expected.
I'm sorry, I didn't explain this very well. Our Stake uses a Sony VPL-EX50 projector which has a loop through VGA output (labeled Monitor). This VGA 15-pin output is the one that we connect to the scan converter. Then, the composite output of the scan converter is fed to the building video system.

When connected with this output feeding the scan converter, there is NO discernable loss of picture quality of the projected image or video output of the scan converter (picture is great).
10-12-2011 9-36-04 PM.jpg
(51.14 KiB) Downloaded 45 times
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Understood, but how were you connecting it when you did see a loss of quality?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
michaelfish

Post by michaelfish »

I connected the VGA out of the laptop to the scan converter and then the VGA output of the scan converter to the projector. When I did this, picture quality of the projector was diminshed and not as sharp than the original (as compared to being connected directly from the laptop to the projector). The composite and S-Video output of the scan converter was fine. I'm sure the degredation of the picture was due to the low quality of the $50 scan converter.

I did not try spitting the VGA output of the laptop (one to the projector and the other to the scan converter), because the projector already had a VGA Monitor out.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

michaelfish wrote:I connected the VGA out of the laptop to the scan converter and then the VGA output of the scan converter to the projector. When I did this, picture quality of the projector was diminshed and not as sharp than the original (as compared to being connected directly from the laptop to the projector).
Interesting. I wonder why.
michaelfish wrote:I did not try spitting the VGA output of the laptop (one to the projector and the other to the scan converter), because the projector already had a VGA Monitor out.
Unless you had an active splitter, I'd expect poor results. In fact that might have been the problem. The projector may have a buffer on the output making it an active splitter while the scan converter didn't.

sammythesm

Post by sammythesm »

I think an easier, less expensive solution would be to get the speaker's slides beforehand, and export them to images (using PowerPoint) and then load them into your webcast software as images. It will require more work on your part to follow the slides and put up the right slide at the right time, but is far less complex than getting a scan converter and adding another video input.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

sammythesm wrote:I think an easier, less expensive solution would be to get the speaker's slides beforehand, and export them to images (using PowerPoint) and then load them into your webcast software as images. It will require more work on your part to follow the slides and put up the right slide at the right time, but is far less complex than getting a scan converter and adding another video input.

Less, expensive, yes. But not easier. Keep in mind that some slides may have a special transition that exposes bullet points one at a time. I wouldn't want the risk of the show not flowing the way the speaker intended. Besides, you may not get the presentation ahead of time. You'll get it when the speaker arrives.

Aczlan

Post by Aczlan »

RussellHltn wrote:Less, expensive, yes. But not easier. Keep in mind that some slides may have a special transition that exposes bullet points one at a time. I wouldn't want the risk of the show not flowing the way the speaker intended. Besides, you may not get the presentation ahead of time. You'll get it when the speaker arrives.
Excellent point. Personally, I am generally too busy with sound and video (yes, I need another person to help so that I am doing sound OR video, not sound AND video) to keep up with a slideshow and I would much rather that the presenter do it with me getting it on the camera, or through a scan converter.

Aaron Z

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”