Broadcasting Still Permitted Considering Handbook 1?

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
dstaheli
Church Employee
Church Employee

Broadcasting Still Permitted Considering Handbook 1?

Post by dstaheli »

Meeting broadcasts are now prohibited by Handbook of Instructions 1, yet the clerk policy webpage says they are still permitted. What should I tell my Stake President who feels constrained to shut down broadcasts to a terminally-ill sister because of the Handbook direction?

Thank you,
David Staheli
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I'll have to wait for someone who has access to Handbook 1 to comment. Does it say "no" or just discourage it? Just taking a guess, did the broadcasts start prior to the new Handbook? This sounds like a problem that will resolve itself in time.

Another thought to for him to ask the area authorities for guidance on this particular situation.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

dstaheli wrote:What should I tell my Stake President who feels constrained to shut down broadcasts to a terminally-ill sister because of the Handbook direction?

To be specific, I imagine you are referring to section 8.4.15 in Handbook 1, which talks about broadcasts from the chapel, and Meetinghouse Webcast policies and guidelines on the wiki.
dstaheli wrote:What should I tell my Stake President who feels constrained to shut down broadcasts to a terminally-ill sister because of the Handbook direction?
As long as he is aware of the Handbook provisions (he clearly is), then he's the one with the keys to receive inspiration on implementing the Handbook in his stake. Unless he consults with higher authorities to get a clarification as RussellHltn suggested and gets a different answer, I think you would just have to respect his decision.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
dannykos

Post by dannykos »

HB1 states that the only broadcasts permitted from meetings held in the chapel are Stake Conference.
dstaheli
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by dstaheli »

The following quotes explain the confusion and possible contradiction:

Handbook 1 - 8.4.15
·"Meetings and other events that are held in the chapel may not be broadcast over the Internet or by any other means..."

The Meetinghouse Webcast policy page:
·Meetinghouse Webcast should only be used for Church-sponsored meetings or events.
·In February 2009, the Presiding Bishop sent out a letter authorizing the use of webcast technology for broadcasting Church meetings and events.
·Stake and area leaders should use discretion when determining what meetings should be broadcast.
·Allowing others to view the webcasts…should be done…when unusual circumstances exist…

Also, the Meetinghouse Webcast software allows selection of all sorts of meeting types. The policy is unclear.
jbh001

Post by jbh001 »

Picking at nits here, but as I read it they appear to be making a distinction between a Webcast and a broadcast. I would take that to mean that if I use the Church's Webcasting service I am within policy. If I use some other means that is more easily accessible to the general public--such as Youtube, livestream.com, ustream.tv, etc.--then I am out of compliance with policy.

However, that is just my opinion, and I am not in any position to interpret this policy.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

So what you're saying is that it comes down to the definition of broadcast. We can certainly agree that public broadcasting would be prohibited. Unfortunately, much of the Wiki refers the Meetinghouse Webcasting as "broadcasting".

An interesting thought.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

dstaheli wrote:Handbook 1 - 8.4.15
"Meetings and other events that are held in the chapel may not be broadcast over the Internet or by any other means..."

We don't normally allow quotes from Handbook 1 (or any other unpublished documents) to be posted on the Forum (see the Code of Conduct). But I would note that this exact sentence is also in Handbook 2 (see section 21.2.10).
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
jbh001

Post by jbh001 »

aebrown wrote:But I would note that this exact sentence is also in Handbook 2 (see section 21.2.10).
Since I don't have access to Handbook 1, I find it interesting to note that the Handbook 2 reference states:
Taking photographs or making video recordings in chapels is not permitted. Meetings and other events that are held in the chapel may not be broadcast over the Internet or by any other means (see 18.3.1 for an exception).
And the exception referenced in 18.3.1 of Handbook 2 states:
If necessary, conference sessions may be broadcast to other locations in the stake.
For me, that sufficiently ends any ambiguity in this policy.
rpyne

Post by rpyne »

I find this whole thread interesting in light of the fact that BYU-TV (still) broadcasts sacrament meeting over cable and sattlelite TV at least once a week.

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”