Camera control cables

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

craiggsmith wrote:Yes, that looks like them. I was thinking they may have come with the Cisco firewall.
The Cisco PIX 501 and the ASA 5505 both came with blue console cables used to connect the device to a computer using a serial RS-232 port for advanced setup and configuration. It is not needed for Church network installations.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

jdlessley wrote:It is not needed for Church network installations.
Let me just clarify, it is not needed for NORMAL Church network installations. I've run into more than one situation where a Cisco firewall had to be re-scripted via a serial port on a PC because they had lost the ability to communicate with it over the Internet. I'm just saying, it's not something you want to toss out. In fact, I've added a couple of THESE (cheap, but dependable) serial to USB cables to my "kit", for newer PC's without serial ports. Handy for any STS to have.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Mikerowaved wrote:Let me just clarify, it is not needed for NORMAL Church network installations. I've run into more than one situation where a Cisco firewall had to be re-scripted via a serial port on a PC because they had lost the ability to communicate with it over the Internet. I'm just saying, it's not something you want to toss out. In fact, I've added a couple of THESE (cheap, but dependable) serial to USB cables to my "kit", for newer PC's without serial ports. Handy for any STS to have.
I completely agree. The first time I had to do this, I dug up my old laptop that had a 9-pin serial port so that the GSD could rescript the Pix. But I knew that old beast's days were numbered, so I got a serial-USB adapter. I was certainly glad when about 4 months ago I had to do this again. Armed with my adapter and the console cable, I was able to work with the GSD and be back up and running in less than an hour.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
StevePoulsen
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by StevePoulsen »

RussellHltn wrote:Is that a Sony limitation? I've tortured RS-232 far beyond that in the past, usually at 9600 baud. I'm not sure what the camera's baud rate is. RS-422 would be a better fit for using Cat 5 cable.
Like most things in electronics, I belive it is a "Theoretical Maximum", as I like you have used it far beyond 50', and have in fact done so on the EVI-D70 cammera. I belive it has a lot to do with the actual cable used, and the noise levels in the enviroment.
Steve Poulsen - Meetinghouse Facilities Technology Engineer
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

I'm surprised that they still sell cables with the old serial connector; I do have an old machine with one but it's days are certainly numbered as well.
Craig
South Jordan, UT
StevePoulsen
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by StevePoulsen »

craiggsmith wrote:I'm surprised that they still sell cables with the old serial connector; I do have an old machine with one but it's days are certainly numbered as well.

Not only are they still sold, RS-232 (DB-9) controls are in fact very common on high end pro video and audio gear. they may die out as Ethernet enabled controls take over. but most gear still uses RS-232 control. they just are not very common on Consumer laptops and computers.
Steve Poulsen - Meetinghouse Facilities Technology Engineer
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

StevePoulsen wrote:they may die out as Ethernet enabled controls take over. but most gear still uses RS-232 control.

While laptops have USB and Firewire, those protocols have a very limited cable length. The equipment in question would have to be at the same location as the computer.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

I see, thanks!
Craig
South Jordan, UT

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”