multiple cameras and microphones

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

SBankhead wrote:so if you want or need to add some sound reinforcement in the local audio system, then you would need some XLR splitters. (you have to get a special device to do this, they're about $30-$40 ea). You would split the choir mics two ways: One way into a local mixer or attenuator so you could adjust the gain and mute where appropriate so it sounded good in the chapel. The other way would go to your mixer that feeds your broadcast encoder.
Well, that's one way. If you have a mixer with more than one ouput, (such as a monitor feed or auxiliary send) you can "split" at the mixer. The advantage of that is one control can mute the mics for both feeds.
I'd get the audio contractor to come out and add a separate audio input (for choir or general sound reinforcement) to the mixer. The mixer would be programmed so the new input would not be mixed into the chapel feed, but would be mixed into the cultural hall, overflow speakers, RF Modulators, and broadcast line-out. This way you could add sound reinforcment for all of the areas that don't get all of the acoustic volume in the chapel, without making it too loud up close to the choir where the ambient volume is normally just fine, and you would avoid feedback problems.

But, I haven't really had the opportunity to pitch this idea yet.
That's how ours is setup. We have an auxiliary in that feeds all but the front speakers.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
shanebankhead

Post by shanebankhead »

RussellHltn wrote:Well, that's one way. If you have a mixer with more than one ouput, (such as a monitor feed or auxiliary send) you can "split" at the mixer. The advantage of that is one control can mute the mics for both feeds.
Very true. I was just thinking of my setup where I need to be mixing in a different location, so 2 mixers work better. But you're right- there's no reason why you couldn't do it all on one mixer. My real point was that you'll often need separate level control of each feed, so on a single mixer you may need to use a monitor channel, or just left-right channels to control levels for each feed separately.

That's how ours is setup. We have an auxiliary in that feeds all but the front speakers.
That's very interesting and encouraging, and here I was thinking I had an original idea... I've never seen this in a church installation, but it makes a lot of sense. I'm curious, do you know if your stake had that auxiliary input added as a special request, or has it just always been there?

Where is the input located? Up on the rostrum or back by the amp racks?

I'm a little paranoid since our FM group is very resistant to letting us install anything "non-standard". But if it has been done elsewhere, I might have a good case to make.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

SBankhead wrote:I'm curious, do you know if your stake had that auxiliary input added as a special request, or has it just always been there?

Where is the input located? Up on the rostrum or back by the amp racks?
Special Request. It has it's own cable that plugs into the wall. The same cable (a short snake) also carries the 3 built in choir mics and the 4 connectors we have near the podium.

This was all designed by the church audio department and installed by the usual church contractor.

I should add that our stake center is a Tabernacle complete with 100-seat choir loft. We hold large Christmas concerts. So our situation is a bit non-standard. :D

The main thing is to get your stake president behind you and have him work with the FM Group to get what you need.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jviola

I should of check back more often

Post by jviola »

I thought this thread had died. I would of participated more had I known it was still going on.

Our Stake Conference is this coming weekend and we are still putting things together........We hope the last few parts arrive today or tomorrow. We are cutting this so close. It is our very first attempt so I hope it isn't a complete disaster.

We have a General Authority visiting this time. This is actually good. Because he wants all young people in the stake 14 - 19 years of age to come to the stake center Sunday morning before stake conference so he can talk to them. This will greatly reduce the number of people left in the building that we will broadcast to. I guess I'm thinking possibly less damage.

After this weekend I will write up a report of how things went.
michaelfish

Audio from Organ

Post by michaelfish »

Just a thought about capturing audio from the Organ.

Many buildings have electronic organs that have audio output jacks underneath the keyboard.

We send the output of the organ to the mixer that is used to mix/broadcast the sound to the other buildings.

A real benefit is clean prelude organ music before meetings start.
jviola

Our Stake Conference was successful

Post by jviola »

Well, we had success in our first attempt, but we learned a lot and want to improve on it.

I'd like to write up what we did with some photo, equipment and connectors listed, but I don't know if it is best to put it here or start a new thread.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jviola wrote:I'd like to write up what we did with some photo, equipment and connectors listed, but I don't know if it is best to put it here or start a new thread.
I'd recommend that you start a new thread, since this thread deals with particular issues. In the new thread, you can reference this thread by saying something like: "A couple of the issues we encountered are discussed in the multiple cameras and microphones thread."
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
normandeb

Post by normandeb »

With choir mic's we get alot of feedback, the issue being overhead speakers. is there a way to install a switch to disconnect those speakers over the stand. I do like the idea of adding an additional input. I also think that adding a few mic inputs on the floor of the stand would be great if there was access below the stand.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

normandeb wrote:With choir mic's we get alot of feedback, the issue being overhead speakers. is there a way to install a switch to disconnect those speakers over the stand. I do like the idea of adding an additional input.

Go though your stake presidency to the FM group to see if you can get what you need. I think the standard equipment that's used has 4 mic inputs. So there may be two inputs available. When they installed our system, those inputs where wired to where you could plug in a mic on the floor.

We have a customized sound system. They provided a line input into the distribution device. As a result, my line input goes to all speakers except the choir speakers. You probably don't want to turn off the choir speakers completely - that would leave the choir unable to hear the talks. (Been there, done that, got the complaints.)

I would highly advise against modifying the system on your own. That's why I say work though the stake with the FM group to get what you need.

michaelfish

Post by michaelfish »

heyring wrote:Just about any basic audio mixer will work. Something with the required number of inputs like:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Behringer+- ... &cp=1&lp=4
It's noteworthy to mention that most pulpit microphones need power, so if you're planning on running the podium microphone into a mixer (not splitting the feed), make sure the mixer has the "Phantom Power" option. Otherwise, the pulpit microphone will not work.

Many upgraded mixers have a Phantom Power switch on them that allows you to do this.

Also, it is best to purchase a mixer with "balanced" XLR inputs, not just XLR jacks. Some cheap mixers only have or unbalanced XLR input jacks (or just 1/4" unbalanced jacks).

Most high quality microphones are balanced, so purchasing a mixer with balanced XLR inputs will match the type of connection and impedance without requiring adapters.

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”