Need Inspired Help

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
johnsco-p40

Need Inspired Help

Post by johnsco-p40 »

I am in the process of ordering parts for setting up our Stake House and two Ward Buildings for Meeting House Communication. I have already purchased the Meeting House Communicator and (2) Meeting House WebCast Receiver.
Issue I am having is with the video setup in the Stake House. The Church website shows video cameras like:
1. Sony EVI-D70 & 2. Sony DCR - HC52
Both of those cameras qualify as surveilance
The camera I was thinking about ordering is:
Sony Digital HD HDV HVR - HD 1000U
Questions
1. Is this camera overkill?
2. Do I need a camera with PTZ (ie.,moving from speaker to choir)
3. Do I need some kind of video capture device other than the Meeting House Communication (in other words can I connet direct into this device then to the Internet)?
4. Can I connect audio directly from the Stake House Sound System into the Meeting House Communicator or do I need an amp in between.

On the Receiving End
5. I am assuming I can connect directly (no device in between) out of the Web House Reciver to a Projector.
6. I am assuming I can connect directly (no device in betwen) out of the Web House Receiver to the Ward House Sound System.

Folks I know there are people out there that are a whole bunch smarter then me about this. I need some inspired help. The Stake people what to get something up and going ASAP and would appreciate any help I can get.

Thanks in Advance.
michaelfish

Post by michaelfish »

1. Is this camera overkill?

The HVRHD1000U is a wonderful HD camcorder. While I’m not sure if you’re attempting use it to record the video (check with authorities first) or to achieve a better picture from it's HD capabilities, here are some things you may wish to consider: even though 'the better the camera, the better the picture', the Webcast communicator is not HD and your weakest link will most likely the bandwidth of the video stream. Realistically, most church Internet uploads yield only about 500 kbps, and the end result quality can be from between poor VHS to DVD quality, not HD. From my experience, you will need (up and down) 500 kbps to 1 Mbps to achieve VHS quality, 2 - 3 Mbps for DVD quality, 4 Mbps and up for HD – besides there are so many other things to consider when attempting HD, like interfacing with the building TVs, the projector, limited lengths of HDMI cables, etc.. Finally, the camera also must be operated by hand (see #2.)

2. Do I need a camera with PTZ (ie.,moving from speaker to choir)

With at PTZ camera, there is less distraction from a camera operator moving and blocking the view. You may even conceal the camera on a ledge or some other place. They can even be mounted permanantly (see http://tech.lds.org/forum/showthread.php?t=4903).
There are some disadvantages to PTZ camera’s extreme slow pan or zoom control due to the jerkiness of the motors engaging (ESPECIALLY when attempting super-slow, extreme zoom movements), and without a joystick controller, movements with the handheld I/R remote are tedious and take a little to get used to. However, an advantage to the EVI-D70 is the ability to memorize 6 presets (remembers position, zoom, focus, etc.) for various shots. The camera moves between presets in less than a second. The video quality and the zoom capabilities of the camera are very good.

3. Do I need some kind of video capture device other than the Meeting House Communication (in other words can I connet direct into this device then to the Internet)?

No additional capture device is needed. Camera video plugs directly into the unit.

4. Can I connect audio directly from the Stake House Sound System into the Meeting House Communicator or do I need an amp in between.
If your Stake has an audio output (check under the clerk’s desk or at the pulpit), the house audio can be plugged directly into the unit.

On the Receiving End
5. I am assuming I can connect directly (no device in between) out of the Web House Receiver to a Projector.

Yes

6. I am assuming I can connect directly (no device in between) out of the Web House Receiver to the Ward House Sound System.

You may need a line-level to mic-level attenuator (crab)

Hope this helps.
danmccay-p40

Inspired Help?

Post by danmccay-p40 »

I completely agree with the over kill on the HVRHD1000U. The best you will get is a lower quality standard definition. If you have the money to spend, invest in a 3ccd Standard Def Camera. Here is a list of a few that are around $1000.

http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-camcord ... mncol;dir1

3ccd will add better color to your broadcast and improve the quality of the image without being HD. If you are like me, I ended up going with two 3ccd cameras and rented a video mixer to switch back and forth. All the best.

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”