Camera mounting ideas for Sony EVI-D70

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
Paulbb1

Post by Paulbb1 »

michaelfish wrote:Since the ledge may interfere with the picture, how much of the choir can you get with the camera placed the way it is before seeing the ledge?
We moved the top wood block over the edge of the ledge to get the far left of the choir seats so we could see the open area where musicians played instruments. We get the whole choir and then some. Yet, we can zoom in on just the director's head and shoulders. I guess I will include a full swing of the camera zoomed back and forward.

The computer we use is not dedicated to webcasting and is used as the desk computer in the FHC. So it takes an nearly and hour to setup and get running. Spring is here and the yard keeps calling me and I succumb.
Arlan Beebe
Ann Arbor Stake
Paulbb1

Installation images

Post by Paulbb1 »

nognielsen wrote:Paulbb1, I'd love more details, we have a legacy building, how did you get power/ video signal up there on that ledge? Did FM group put that in, or is there a jack up there standard?
I installed it myself with help pulling cables and mounting. FM at the time didn't have the skills but they could now that I went through installing new 881 routers and access points with them.
Here are some images.
Attic Chapel Wall4.jpg
(87.86 KiB) Downloaded 513 times
Camera Bk3.jpg
(91 KiB) Downloaded 516 times
Attic Chapel wall1.jpg
(91.4 KiB) Downloaded 513 times
Camera power cord.jpg
(94.79 KiB) Downloaded 515 times
P4100022.jpg
(98.24 KiB) Downloaded 513 times
Arlan Beebe
Ann Arbor Stake
michaelfish

Post by michaelfish »

I was wondering how you ran control to the camera. Then after looking more closely, it appears you have an IR emitter pointed to the IR sensor on the rear of the camera. Is this correct? How did you extend the IR signal (what device and cost)?
Paulbb1

IR emitter not used

Post by Paulbb1 »

michaelfish wrote:I was wondering how you ran control to the camera. Then after looking more closely, it appears you have an IR emitter pointed to the IR sensor on the rear of the camera. Is this correct? How did you extend the IR signal (what device and cost)?
We tried to use the IR emitter but it only worked half way down the hall. It was a wireless that converted tp IR. Pulled a cat5e cable from camera to sat cabinet but not working yet. the RS422 to serial/USB port converter didn't work. Still looking for one that will work. There is a separate thread on the subject.

Using IR remote that came with camera. Just preset positions and give to someone that can see the monitor set in the corner of overflow area. Some training is required but is easy to use.
Arlan Beebe
Ann Arbor Stake
michaelfish

Post by michaelfish »

It's a common practice to use CAT5 cable to extend the distance to IR emitters. And if the runs are more that 100' or so, we typically use more conductors (tie grn/wht to brn/wht, etc.) to send the signal farther.

Hope this helps.
bfromm

Post by bfromm »

Paulbb1 wrote:the RS422 to serial/USB port converter didn't work. Still looking for one that will work.

I finally figured out how to get an RS422 to USB converter to work. It took forever and was really frustrating, but it works. The long story short is that you have to wire it wrong...you can't follow the wiring diagrams/instructions that come with the converter.
RS422_Pin_Out.jpg
(98.51 KiB) Downloaded 529 times

I'm not sure who originally posted this image, but it got me going. Notice that between the converter and camera, you wire positive to negative throughout (R- to T+, R+ to T-, T- to R+, and T+ to R-). If you daisy chain cameras, you wire things the correct way (R+ to T+, R- to T- etc.). I had purchased three different converters and could not get any of them to work. Once I wired things this way, everything worked!

I highly recommend trying a program called D70 Commander that was written by a fellow forum member: http://www.cwshop.com/LDSSoftware/. It allows you to configure preset camera angles, overlay basic text, etc. I'm going to post a new thread that outlines everything I recently went through to get things working.
michaelfish

Post by michaelfish »

Fantastic! I tried for weeks to get RS-422 to work with software. I tried at least 4 different adapters, cards, etc. and several software programs and never could. It was very frustrating.

Thanks for your perseverance!

Also, the wiring diagram you included is GREAT. Easy to understand how to make things work and where the wires go. I really appreciate this!
bfromm

Post by bfromm »

The real champion is lpuster who wrote the software I used and sent the wiring diagram from another thread he found!
michaelwforbes

Post by michaelwforbes »

Hi, I just have one question. What is the ideal distance between the cam and pulpit. I'm afraid to mount it to far from the pulpit to get a good picture.
michaelfish

What the EVI-D70 picture looks like at 60'

Post by michaelfish »

We mounted cameras at the rear of the overflow area just in front of the cultural hall.

Here is a sample of what you can expect using a Sony EVI-D70 camera if mounted 60' from the pulput. The cameras on the sides are about 75' from the pulpit.

The EVI-D70 zoom ratio is 18x without digital zoom (which deteriorates the picture substancially). We have found we don't even zoom all the way in, so at 60' to 75', it still looks great!
Attachments
Camera Positions.jpg
(69.6 KiB) Downloaded 527 times

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”