Webcasting sacrament meeting to shut-ins

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
MattOlander

Re: Webcasting sacrament meeting to shut-ins

Post by MattOlander »

Anyone know how to stream the webcasts to an android devise?
danpass

Post by danpass »

mattolander wrote:Anyone know how to stream the webcasts to an android devise?
Yes. See this forum post.
TinMan

Post by TinMan »

A very interesting discussion. My two cents:
lajackson wrote:The Church used to broadcast (on BYU-TV, I think) a meeting identical to sacrament meeting without the sacrament. Hymns, prayers, speakers. Do they still do that?

We used to refer our homebound members to that broadcast, and then send in the priests from time to time, usually quarterly, to administer the sacrament.
Many of these "meetings" were filmed in our stake center. Some of us were "invited" to attend in our Sunday best and be the congregation. They would film one, have us all get up and sit in different places and film another one. None of the speakers were from our stake. We were told that if we fell asleep, there would be "audience shots" and we would be seen all around the world. Kept me awake... :)

As to broadcasting into the shut in's homes: One thing that hasn't been discussed. I have several shut-ins that would benefit from this. I also have several who claim to be shut-ins but aren't really. We struggle all the time on the question "Are we enabling them to be shut-ins by bringing them the sacrament each week?" I can see many more people claiming to be shut-ins if they knew they could sit and watch sacrament meeting in their jammies at home. That may be unique to me, I don't know. But for that reason, I wouldn't 'broadcast" it in my ward.

We have two priests and two laurels visit the homes of the shut ins. The priests perform the sacrament and the Laurels give a 5 minute synopsis of the speakers. Even at that, I have people who request the sacrament because they are unable to attend, but yet i see them out and about all over the place on Saturdays. If you can go to the latest movie on
Saturday, is it asking too much to come to Sacrament meeting on Sunday? It is a quandary.
michaelfish

Post by michaelfish »

IMO, the Bishop should decide who receives "shut-in service", whether they go to movies or not. He is the judge of the ward and he would know if someone would benefit from the service, or decide if someone was just making excuses.

I feel broadcasting Sacrament meetings to shut-ins defeats the main purpose of Sacrament meetings - to renew baptismal covenants; the Sacrament is an ordinance and cannot be blessed or administered via the Internet or any other form of A/V transmission.

Sure, transmitting audio or video of the talks would be great but let's not forget what the focus is of our Sacrament meetings.

Under the direction of our Bishop, we send an audio CD (talks only) out along with a copy of the Sunday program with Priests who in turn, visit, administer the Sacrament, and leave the CD and program.

It has been received very well and is what I recommend.
Last edited by michaelfish on Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

TinMan wrote:We struggle all the time on the question "Are we enabling them to be shut-ins by bringing them the sacrament each week?"
The reverse spin is that you're reaching out and touching the hearts of people who wouldn't otherwise get that. (Even if it's by their own decision.)

I can see both sides, but for me the Handbook settles the matter.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
SirMikamus

Post by SirMikamus »

My bishop has asked me to see if we could broadcast the audio only to a few home bound ward members, I was thinking of setting up a skype chat for this purpose but wondered if that is forbidden or not....
(Mike Norris)
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Handbook 2: 21.2.10: "Taking photographs or making video recordings in chapels is not permitted. Meetings and other events that are held in the chapel may not be broadcast over the Internet or by any other means (see 18.3.1 for an exception)." (18.3.1 is Stake Conference)

From Webcast Policies and Guidelines: "Webcasts should not be used to broadcast ordinances such as baptisms or the administration of the sacrament."
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

It is not the same because you do not know the people, but BYUtv used to broadcast a sacrament meeting type program (without the ordinance) each week. I wonder if that is still available.

Another possibility is to take an audio recording to them from time to time.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

lajackson wrote:It is not the same because you do not know the people, but BYUtv used to broadcast a sacrament meeting type program (without the ordinance) each week. I wonder if that is still available.
Yes, it is still available: Worship Service. It's one season of 28 meetings recorded in 2004-2005. No new recordings are being made, but you can watch those 28 meetings as many times as you'd like.

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”