Sony EVI-D70 Camera Control

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
Paulbb1

Post by Paulbb1 »

Paulbb1 wrote:Can we start a list of RS422 to USB converters that work with the Sony SW or the one talked about here in forum? Or does the Wiki have a list?
How about this one?
http://www.usconverters.com/index.php?m ... cts_id=280
Arlan Beebe
Ann Arbor Stake
BlakeHendriksen

Okay here's the deal

Post by BlakeHendriksen »

I have installed several of these professionaly. They can be controlled IR of course, but they can also be controlled RS-232 OR RS-422 you select which one you want to use via some dip switches. The Camera has a 9 pin Din Connector on it that can be hard to find if you don't know where to get them. I have the Pin out if anyone is interested. If you have more money to throw at it you can buy this http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/cat-bro... ... t-RMBR300/. We have typically installed them in LDS chapels using IR repeaters, another option is to get some type on controls system like Crestron, AMX, etc... but that can be costly.
michaelfish

Post by michaelfish »

RussellHltn wrote:I don't think there's any need for a ground line in RS-422.

Tried running a loop using CAT5 with four wires sending and the other four wires for return. The picture had bad artifacts. When I switched to shielded CAT5, looping just as before but using the shield for the ground, the artifacts disappeared.

Bottom line: there is a need for the ground line in RS-422.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

michaelfish wrote:Tried running a loop using CAT5 with four wires sending and the other four wires for return. The picture has bad artifacts. When I switched to shielded CAT5, looping just as before but using the shield for the ground, the artifacts disappeared.

Bottom line: there is a need for the ground line in RS-422.
The RS-422 is just for control, right? You didn't mention how well the control channel worked. How were you connecting the video? If the video needs a ground, it would be better for that line to provide the ground, not an auxiliary connection.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mkisaacs

Post by mkisaacs »

Paulbb1 wrote:Can we start a list of RS422 to USB converters that work with the Sony SW or the one talked about here in forum? Or does the Wiki have a list?
We use the Edgeport 8i and it works great. It is a bit expensive, and we only needed one port, but we found it used for an amazing deal.
michaelfish

Post by michaelfish »

RussellHltn wrote:The RS-422 is just for control, right? You didn't mention how well the control channel worked. How were you connecting the video? If the video needs a ground, it would be better for that line to provide the ground, not an auxiliary connection.
Video was connected via S-Video baluns. Whenever the CAT5 cable (RS-422 control) was connected to the camera, the picture degraded. The only change made (which fixed the picture problem) was to replace CAT5 with shielded CAT5 and use the 9th wire (shield) as the ground.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Sounds like a lack of isolation between the RS-422 and the rest of to circuitry in the camera. It may be the long unshielded run, or the ungrounded controller (or worse, a controller connected to a different ground) was the cause.

While the RS-422 ground provided a workable solution, I don't believe that RS-422 inherently needs a ground.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
michaelfish

Post by michaelfish »

RussellHltn wrote:...or the ungrounded controller (or worse, a controller connected to a different ground) was the cause.
Please help me to understand.

I'm thinking that if the RM-BR300 controller is connected to the cameras only via T+, T-, etc., and not a ground, and if the cable is a really long run, wouldn't that induce noise into the system and the ground connection's purpose be used to suppress the noise?

The reason I'm thinking this is because (according to the Sony pin-out) the camera's RS-422 and controller's RS-422 conntectors have pin #5 designated for ground. And when I grounded this pin, the problem went away.

Furthermore, the power packs (for cameras and controller) are not grounded, so I assume the camera grounds to the other equipment through the negative video connection, but how is the controller grounded?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

michaelfish wrote:but how is the controller grounded?

Have you connected the shield of the CAT 5 to the controller? I assumed you did, but in re-reading, I don't see where you said you have.

michaelfish

Post by michaelfish »

Standard UTP (no shield) wiring was used.

The controller had #5 contact (GND) connected to solid green of the CAT5, The 1st camera also had contact #5 (GND) connected. Camera #2 did NOT have contact #5 GND (solid green) connected. Camera #3 was connected to contact #5 GND.

Picture degration was fixed when I connected camera #2's contact #5 (GND) to the other cameras. In order to do this with one cable, I swapped out the UPT (from Cam1 to Cam2 to Cam3) with STP (from Cam1 to Cam2 to Cam3). UTP was used from controller to Cam1.

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”