Sony EVI-D70 Camera Control

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
davidgil-p40

Post by davidgil-p40 »

RussellHltn wrote:At one time IR extenders were quite popular.

You're right. Great idea. I will look into an extender.
Paulbb1

Software

Post by Paulbb1 »

I am now understanding the problem. How to control the camera w/o the remote. If I we use the remote in the overflow area we will need a TV for the person to watch.

IR Blasters might work. Will they go 180 feet. I will do some searching.

RS-422 is the clean way to do it but what does software cost? This communications is just for controlling the camera? Right? I can't find any at a reasonable cost.

I've been searching the internet for information and I am getting frustrated and need some professional help in understanding how to remotely control the camera and some simple Windows based software.

Arlan
davidgil-p40

Post by davidgil-p40 »

Just an update for those interested. I'm looking at using an IR extender that uses CAT 5. I've been looking at the Microsmith Hot Link XL which looks like it would work well for what I'm trying to do. I'll let you know what I finally decide on and how it works. Hope this info helps someone.
Paulbb1

IR jack to cable

Post by Paulbb1 »

I hope there are no rules about putting in links.
I found this in the A/V forum makes the connection for IR a simple jack.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/pshowde ... tab=1#Tabs

The issue would be in my case the signal strength required to go over 170 feet. More power would be provided by this?

http://www.smarthome.com/8191/Four-Emit ... 100/p.aspx

The prices look good.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

PaulBB1 wrote:I hope there are no rules about putting in links.
The manner in which you used links is appropriate. If you have any questions similar to this you can refer to the Code of Conduct. There are links at the bottom of each forum page for the CoC, Terms of Use and Privacy.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
rmaughan

Post by rmaughan »

We have an EVI-D70 camera that we use for our webcasts.

I purchased a VISCA control cable for around $15 on Ebay that comes with a 20' cable and a serial adapter. The length of cable can be extended by adding a RJ-45 coupler and using a long Cat5 cable.

I have downloaded some free EVI-D30 control software on the internet and have successfully used it to remotely control the camera. The software gives greater control and precision than using the IR remote. The software is not advanced, but you do get what you pay for with it -- basic functionality (zoom control, pan control, memory position set and recall, etc.)

I run the S-video out of the camera to the webcast communicator and then I run the RCA video out into a USB Dazzle video capture device connected to the USB port on the same laptop that the VISCA/Serial cable is connected to for controlling the camera. That way I can see the real-time image on the laptop and run the camera control software at the same time. I simply tape the cables down along the floor to where I'm sitting with the controlling laptop -- which is either at the back of the chapel (in front of the cultural hall) or up on the stand at the clerk's table.

It has worked very well -- the only challenge is making sure I have a laptop that has a serial port. It would probably work to use a USB to Serial adapter, but I have not tried that yet.

Cable -- search Ebay for "Sony EVI-D30 VISCA control cable"
Software -- search google for "evi-d30 software" or visit the following link:

http://www.elims.org/evi-d30.htm and download the "Camera control program from Sony" -- I have no affiliation with this website. This is the software that I have been using.
Paulbb1

Post by Paulbb1 »

Great information! Thanks

Arlan
ralphf-p40

Links to EVID70 images?

Post by ralphf-p40 »

Can anyone who's using the EVID70 provide a link to your video? (By PM if that's the appropriate way by the forum's rules.)
I'm thinking about buying this camera but I'm having a hard time getting a look at the quality of its image.
Thank you in advance.
Paulbb1

Confrence Video Sample posting

Post by Paulbb1 »

Maybe I can post a sample if it is OK with the administrators. Some over all and shoulder and head shots. No complete talks.

I'll have to wait for my son-in-law gets back from Mexico to have him edit some of it. No compression.

WE NEED MORE INPUT BY PEOPLE WHO ARE USING REMOTE CONTROLLING A EVID70. What software, how far and what cable and interfaces. I am interested in a USB to VISCA cable with converters cable.
troywo

Post by troywo »

In our installation we use a cat 5e run with punch down female jacks on each end - a standard network run. We then use a short cat5e patch cable with to an rj45 to db9 (female) adapter on each end. We run about 100' and control it from a computer serial port running the Sony EVI demonstration software. Sometimes we get an error where the camera misses one command - this is not a problem however as it always has caught a repeat of that command.
Troy

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”