how old is our satellite system???

Conversations around originating a webcast for conference, including cameras and mixers.
jworth-p40
New Member
Posts: 48
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:34 pm
Location: Washington, IL

how old is our satellite system???

Postby jworth-p40 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:54 pm

I had to call SL today about our satellite system and not getting a signal anymore. We have reset the power a number of times with no change.

I guess if you have a blinking red light, there is a correctable problem with the unit but if it is solid like it is for our, they said it has failed and I need to contact our local FM group to get it replaced.

I have been in my present ward for close to 30 years and can't remember if we have ever replaced the hardware inside or not. I was just wondering how old this equipment is and how many steps are we behind in technology here.

It is a Wegener Communications device model DVR (no, it is not a digital video recorder)395 MPEG-2.

User avatar
mfmohlma
Senior Member
Posts: 784
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:45 pm
Location: Hillsboro, OR

Postby mfmohlma » Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:02 pm

It can't be that old. The church not-so-recently went to digital encryption so the hardware has to support that.

The manual here seems to indicate it can't be much more than 10 years old. (The first edition of the manual was in 1997.)

Good luck with the debugging.

Edit: Page 20 in the manual would seem to verify that a solid red light is indeed very bad.

lajackson
Community Moderators
Posts: 6144
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:27 pm
Location: US

Postby lajackson » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:39 pm

oregonmatt wrote:The manual here seems to indicate it can't be much more than 10 years old. (The first edition of the manual was in 1997.)


The Church started installing the digital receivers about that time or a little before. The manual was not available when the receivers first went in in our area. We have not had a receiver last this long, however. All of ours that were installed in the mid-90s have since been replaced.

You are fortunate if you are getting your first red light replacement. Call the FM Group right away, though. The receivers are custom made for the Church. We missed a general conference getting one replaced because they were installing receiver in all of South America and could not manufacture them fast enough. I don't think you will have that problem, though.

jworth-p40
New Member
Posts: 48
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:34 pm
Location: Washington, IL

Postby jworth-p40 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:43 pm

Ok, so SL is going to send us a new reciever. Will it be the same manufacturer as the broken one (Wegener)?

What improvements should I see over this older one?

I noticed that there are two devices, one slimmer than the other but both similar model numbers (DVR395 and DVR396). Will I be getting both?

techgy
Community Moderators
Posts: 3174
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:48 pm
Location: California

Postby techgy » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:00 pm

jworth wrote:Ok, so SL is going to send us a new reciever. Will it be the same manufacturer as the broken one (Wegener)?

What improvements should I see over this older one?

I noticed that there are two devices, one slimmer than the other but both similar model numbers (DVR395 and DVR396). Will I be getting both?


I would recommend that you contact your local FM (Facilities Management) group and inquire as to the replacement schedule of these receivers. The FM group has the responsibility to replace these items and they should be able to advise you which model you would be getting and when.

We cannot speak for your local FM group. All we can do here is relate what has happened to others and that may not reflect upon your particular circumstances.
Have you read the Code of Conduct?

rmrichesjr
Community Moderators
Posts: 1038
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:32 am
Location: Dundee, Oregon

Postby rmrichesjr » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:35 pm

jworth wrote:Ok, so SL is going to send us a new reciever. Will it be the same manufacturer as the broken one (Wegener)?

What improvements should I see over this older one?

I noticed that there are two devices, one slimmer than the other but both similar model numbers (DVR395 and DVR396). Will I be getting both?


Your mileage may vary, but new installations/replacements I have seen have been the Wegener Unity 500IP (without the ethernet port). It is a newer design than the DVR39*, with some improvements. Unfortunately, it only has one audio pair (at least in the units I have seen).

russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 20764
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Postby russellhltn » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:39 pm

rmrichesjr wrote:Unfortunately, it only has one audio pair (at least in the units I have seen).


Does it have "blanks" that suggest that additional pairs can be added?
Have you searched the Wiki?
Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

rmrichesjr
Community Moderators
Posts: 1038
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:32 am
Location: Dundee, Oregon

Postby rmrichesjr » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:53 pm

RussellHltn wrote:Does it have "blanks" that suggest that additional pairs can be added?


In this post (http://tech.lds.org/forum/showthread.php?p=18567&highlight=satellite+receiver+audio#post18567), you indicated you thought three additional audio units could be installed. The manual shows a cover plate on the rear panel that _MIGHT_ be able to accomodate additional audio units. I have never seen additional audio units installed.

lajackson
Community Moderators
Posts: 6144
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:27 pm
Location: US

Postby lajackson » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:39 pm

rmrichesjr wrote:In this post (http://tech.lds.org/forum/showthread.php?p=18567&highlight=satellite+receiver+audio#post18567), you indicated you thought three additional audio units could be installed. The manual shows a cover plate on the rear panel that _MIGHT_ be able to accomodate additional audio units. I have never seen additional audio units installed.


You would have an additional audio unit for another language. Our buildings all have English and Spanish capability on different audio channels, with the same primary video.

jworth-p40
New Member
Posts: 48
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:34 pm
Location: Washington, IL

Postby jworth-p40 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:24 pm

Techgy wrote:I would recommend that you contact your local FM (Facilities Management) group and inquire as to the replacement schedule of these receivers. The FM group has the responsibility to replace these items and they should be able to advise you which model you would be getting and when.

We cannot speak for your local FM group. All we can do here is relate what has happened to others and that may not reflect upon your particular circumstances.



Already done and it should be here in a week.


Return to “Webcasting”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest