Audio backup

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
craiggsmith

Audio backup

Post by craiggsmith »

I went to hook up the audio backup via the EJ-10 for our stake conference webcast and found that the phone line was no longer active. And then we received a letter about deactivating any non-necessary phone lines. Are cell phones the recommended backup now?
Craig
South Jordan, UT
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Audio backup

Post by russellhltn »

I haven't heard anything about what should be used for audio backup.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

I'm in the process of replacing the EJ-10 in our stake center with an EJ-8 (or equivalent). The EJ-10 has far too much attenuation so when hooked to a laptop it barely has enough audio feeding the sound system with everything maxed out. The EJ-8 has far less loss allowing for more moderate volume settings. I've never used the EJ-10 as an audio backup and probably never will.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

For those not in the know, the EJ-10 had an interface to connect a phone line. The EJ-8 does not. But the EJ-8 has better volume and clarity.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

danpass

Post by danpass »

craiggsmith wrote:I went to hook up the audio backup via the EJ-10 for our stake conference webcast and found that the phone line was no longer active. And then we received a letter about deactivating any non-necessary phone lines. Are cell phones the recommended backup now?
We kept a landline in our stake center and the buildings that receive stake conference webcasts specifically for audio backup.

In case you aren't aware, your FM group should be able to order EJ-R and TTAIB devices to send and receive audio over phone lines.

We found that mobile phone service for audio backup works fine for talks (voice), but organ music during hymns was very choppy.

See this and subsequent posts for more concerning the devices mentioned above and also a discussion about the issues with music over a mobile connection.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

danpass wrote:We found that mobile phone service for audio backup works fine for talks (voice), but organ music during hymns was very choppy.
That's putting it mildly. Anyone who has experienced "music on hold" while using a cell phone should know what that's like. (Personally, I think it should be listed as a form of punishment.)

natet

Post by natet »

I don't know about in your area, but at least in ours the FM was directed to keep at least 1 line active for safety reasons. In our buildings, that is the foyer line. We use that one for our audio backups, and disconnect the foyer phone for the broadcast. Check with your FM to see if that is the case in your buildings.

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”