Best browser for webcast viewing?

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
aaronrturner

Best browser for webcast viewing?

Post by aaronrturner »

I logged into the webcast portal site today and received two warning messages, one about reverting to 2.4.7 on our Teradek and another about NOT using Chrome or Firefox to view the streams. What that message was missing was guidance on which browser to use.

Does anyone have insight into whether Edge should be used? or legacy IE? or Safari? I've got a conference in a few weeks, and I don't want to have the usual meltdown...

Any insights appreciated.
CalS201

Re: Best browser for webcast viewing?

Post by CalS201 »

The warning message only says you should click the "Gear" icon and manually set a higher receive bitrate higher "IF" the video player gets stuck at a low (or audio only) bitrate. We used Chrome for stake conference on five PCs this month with no problem.
rannthal
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by rannthal »

Edge should work fine.
JohnWWright

Post by JohnWWright »

We were successful last week for Stake Conference broadcasting to two other buildings doing the following:

1. Reset (power cycle) the Google Fiber router in each building. (We called and talked to Google Fiber and they suggested doing this monthly. )
2. Reset each of the Ethernet switches in each building.
3. Turn off wifi in all buildings during the broadcast.
4. Our PC are running windows 10 and latest version of Chrome on "auto" mode for display resolution (click on the "gear" icon).
5. Check Audio in cultural hall. One of our back automatic divider switches was broken.
6. One of our audio cables for audio in the breakout box had a short.

We need to do the same thing next week for the regional broadcast, so we are hoping it works again.
gldavis1111

Post by gldavis1111 »

For me, Legacy Internet Explorer is working the best. I am broadcasting from wirecast rather than the Teradek, so not sure if that makes a difference. But, IE is working great for me on Windows 10, whearas the other browsers are dropping.
rannthal
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by rannthal »

Here is my take on the browser issue. There isn't a one browser works best.

It seems that the best browser depends on the machine you are using. My conference we had 2 receive sites. At the first site, I used a laptop that had Win 10 on it. The best browser for that machine I found was Firefox 56. On my other receive site, the laptop liked Chrome the best.

So as an STS, you have to do some testing on which browser works best for the machine you are using.

(Also, we are working out some issues with the newest version on the client player, that we hope to get out ASAP.)

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”