bug with chrome and firefox

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
miken2av

bug with chrome and firefox

Post by miken2av »

We have been using the Teradek since it came out and it has worked pretty well. July 23rd we webcast a Stake Leadership Meeting. Everyone was having lots of issues where they were receiving audio but no video. I called support and they weren't able to isolate the problem. some sites worked perfect others had the issue. I asked that the call be moved up the line to a higher tier of support for further analysis to avoid the issues in the future.

I never called back and Aug 7 they closed my case. I meant to call back and never did. Someone did email and ask me to explain the issues but I didn't notice that email till today. I replied but didn't get an answer (asked for a call). So, tonight while scheduling our Stake Conference Webcast for this weekend I sign in to the portal and get this pop up message:
ATTENTION CHROME AND FIREFOX USERS - RECEIVE SITES ONLY
Due to a bug, Chrome and Firefox browsers will continue to try and settle at low bandwidth throughout the receiving of the broadcast causing the player to go to “Audio stream only”. There have been instances that after 30-60 seconds this issue clears up. However that is not always the case. To address this issue, please select one of the two options:

Option 1 – Use a different browser to receive the broadcast

Option 2 – Using the Chrome or Firefox browser, Change the bitrate to a different bitrate than “Auto”. To do this, when the player is displayed, where you enlarge it to full screen, there is a Gear icon also. Click on this icon and choose any option other than ‘Auto’ or ‘0: 46kbps, 854x480, based upon your Internet availability. Wait for about 1 min for the player to resettle.

This sounds like the issue we experienced. I forwarded the message to all our receive sites and I am assuming they will also get the pop up message when they sign into the portal.

Has anyone else experienced the chrome/firefox bug issues and tried the work around did that seem to solve it for you?

I am hoping this was our issue and the work around takes care of it.
gldavis1111

Re: bug with chrome and firefox

Post by gldavis1111 »

I also experienced an issue with firefox and chrome, also Edge. I was using Windows 10 machines, and wirecast to stream. When I switched to Internet Explorer on the recieve side, everything worked fine. I would try Internet Explorer.

Is your receive machines on Windows 7 or Windows 10? Are you using the Teradek or Wirecast to broadcast? Not sure if it makes a difference, but I am curious.
miken2av

Post by miken2av »

We have a mix of Windows 7 and Windows 10 machines. We use a Taradek but I do have wirecast/BlackMagic Intensity Shuttle as a back up. Everything worked much better for our Stake Conference. Hopefully the browser bug will be fixed because Chrome usually really works better.

Many of our receive site issues could be over come by setting up earlier. I have really tried to emphasize the importance of receive sites setting up early. I prefer them to be completely set up and ready to go 1 hour before meeting time but at least 30 minutes before the meeting starts. This is important first of all to give time to overcome any technical issues as well as setting a tone of reverence as people arrive for the meeting. I am personally completely set up and webcasting 2 hours before start time.

maybe a little over cautious? ;)
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

miken2av wrote:Many of our receive site issues could be over come by setting up earlier. I have really tried to emphasize the importance of receive sites setting up early. I prefer them to be completely set up and ready to go 1 hour before meeting time but at least 30 minutes before the meeting starts. This is important first of all to give time to overcome any technical issues as well as setting a tone of reverence as people arrive for the meeting. I am personally completely set up and webcasting 2 hours before start time.

maybe a little over cautious? ;)
I don't think so. We get both the transmit and receive sites set up before the Saturday evening adult session, which we use as our "dress rehearsal". The doors to the chapels are then locked overnight. This process greatly increases my confidence that everything will work as expected Sunday morning.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
rannthal
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by rannthal »

The problem lies with the player and the newer versions of the browsers.
The OS of windows machines won't make a difference.

I would use Option 2 to disable the adaptive streaming and set the bitrate to a speed that you know that site can handle. This works for any browser. Things will run fine after that.

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”