Webcast testing glitches

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
rannthal
Church Employee
Church Employee

Re: Webcast testing glitches

Post by rannthal »

This is an issue with the current player and the aspect ratio pending on the bitrate that is being played. We are trying to correct this issue with the new player that is scheduled to be released soon.
jhawkins75

Post by jhawkins75 »

rannthal wrote:This is an issue with the current player and the aspect ratio pending on the bitrate that is being played. We are trying to correct this issue with the new player that is scheduled to be released soon.
Oh great, do you keep a change log somewhere that I can refer to?
The problem I have is I only think about streaming events for church for a few weeks every 6 months, so when there's an issue all I can say is it worked last time.
This last time I got frustrated and decided to set up my own nginx rtmp server with multiple HLS streams running through a videojs player. It worked beautifully, but I missed the nice stream monitoring tools you provide for us, so hopefully come spring it all goes smoothly.
rannthal
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by rannthal »

We are going to put on up on the mhtech.lds.org site. I don't know if it is currently up there today. If it is not, it should be there soon.

In the mean time, I try to post changes and things here on the forum that are important.
adamhaining

Post by adamhaining »

The first 3-4 broadcasts I did were miserable. I could not get it to work without glitches, both big and small. Finally I bypassed the filter/router in each building and plugged directly into the cable modem, and ever since I have had zero issues. I even upped the video and audio quality. I’d recommend everyone do this if the building’s wiring permits. We have Ethernet wired from where the Teradek device connects to video as well as where we have the receiving laptop(s).
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

adamhaining wrote:The first 3-4 broadcasts I did were miserable. I could not get it to work without glitches, both big and small. Finally I bypassed the filter/router in each building and plugged directly into the cable modem, and ever since I have had zero issues. I even upped the video and audio quality. I’d recommend everyone do this if the building’s wiring permits. We have Ethernet wired from where the Teradek device connects to video as well as where we have the receiving laptop(s).
I agree that hard-wiring everything is far better than relying on WiFi.

Just curious, which cable company is your internet provider and what kind of upload speed are they giving you? You might want to run some speed tests both through the firewall and without it, because the firewall shouldn't have much impact on the results. If it does, it might be defective or need to be reconfigured. I've never had to bypass the firewall, unless I was uploading to YouTube Live. Is it possible that when you plugged directly into the cable modem you shut out other users, such as everyone's WiFi devices, that might have been hogging resources on your LAN?
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I'd be leery about connecting devices directly to the internet and not behind at least a router. They could easily be compromised during the broadcast.

You might check and make sure your modern is acting only as a modem and not adding another router between the firewall and the internet.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
SamJ0seph

Post by SamJ0seph »

For all kinds of testing glitches you can start afresh by reset the setting of router. This will enable and ensure that firewall and system are fullly working.
jeremywillden

Post by jeremywillden »

adamhaining wrote:The first 3-4 broadcasts I did were miserable. I could not get it to work without glitches, both big and small. Finally I bypassed the filter/router in each building and plugged directly into the cable modem, and ever since I have had zero issues. I even upped the video and audio quality. I’d recommend everyone do this if the building’s wiring permits. We have Ethernet wired from where the Teradek device connects to video as well as where we have the receiving laptop(s).
We also had huge problems going through the church firewall. Fortunately the cable modems and DSL modems in the buildings also provide NAT and firewall protection, so even "directly connected" is safe and protected.

Ironically, when we tested this past week, even with the latest versions of everything, we still had to bypass the firewall on the transmit side in order to get the all-in-one beta receivers to work on the receive side. We've relied on YouTube and not had a single problem with any broadcasts, but in an effort to support the department that makes the webcast service, we plan to simulcast to both YouTube and the Church system for our conference in 10 days. The upload bandwidth at the Stake Center appears to handle two streams at 2.5 Mbps OK (based on our testing thus far).

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”