VidiU front panel display dead

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
danpass

VidiU front panel display dead

Post by danpass »

Our next stake conference is in 5 weeks and we are planning to use the new webcast system for the first time. I had previously powered up and configured the VidiU using front panel controls. At that time I configured networking with a static IP. It has been powered off since then. Now when I turn it on, the indicator lights on the front panel work, but the display remains dark. I am able to connect to it via the network and had no problem upgrading the firmware and running a test webcast.

How important is the display during a webcast? Is all information shown on the display also visible through the web interface?

Trying to determine whether I should stick with what I have for the upcoming conference or work on getting a replacement unit before, rather than after.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: VidiU front panel display dead

Post by lajackson »

danpass wrote:How important is the display during a webcast? Is all information shown on the display also visible through the web interface?
I would request that the FM Group get you a new unit. You have figured out how to make it work, but only because you already knew the IP address. See if you can keep the unit you have as a backup for this conference before turning it in. It may also be that the FM Group will loan one to you from another stake for conference weekend.

But at some point they should be able to send yours back to Teradek and get a replacement at no cost. If it were me, I would prefer that be after the conference, not before.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

danpass wrote:I am able to connect to it via the network and had no problem upgrading the firmware and running a test webcast.
The latest recommended firmware version is 2.4.7. At the moment the later versions on the Teredek website are giving data problems with the portal.

Did you see the notification to that effect, when you logged into the portal?
danpass

Post by danpass »

lajackson wrote:
danpass wrote:How important is the display during a webcast? Is all information shown on the display also visible through the web interface?
I would request that the FM Group get you a new unit. You have figured out how to make it work, but only because you already knew the IP address. See if you can keep the unit you have as a backup for this conference before turning it in. It may also be that the FM Group will loan one to you from another stake for conference weekend.

But at some point they should be able to send yours back to Teradek and get a replacement at no cost. If it were me, I would prefer that be after the conference, not before.
Yes, I will definitely get it replaced. I'm mainly looking for guidance on the importance of the display during a webcast. In the event that any problems occur, would a working display be necessary to get more complete or timely information?

I have contacted my FM group and they do not have a spare unit. They are investigating what needs to be done to get a replacement. If the turnaround time will be cutting it too close, I need to decide whether to go ahead with our current device with the dead display or to use the legacy webcast system one last time before its official September retirement.
danpass

Post by danpass »

Biggles wrote:
danpass wrote:I am able to connect to it via the network and had no problem upgrading the firmware and running a test webcast.
The latest recommended firmware version is 2.4.7. At the moment the later versions on the Teredek website are giving data problems with the portal.

I upgraded the firmware to 2.4.9 over a week ago. At the time, I don't recall seeing the recommendation. I'll downgrade to 2.4.7. Thanks.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

danpass wrote:
Biggles wrote:

I upgraded the firmware to 2.4.9 over a week ago. At the time, I don't recall seeing the recommendation. I'll downgrade to 2.4.7. Thanks.
For a short while over the last week, or so, the notice was missing. :?

To return to your original problem, no display. Having no display, won't affect the devices operation as you are able to access the Vidiu device, via the web interface.

Incidentally when we got our Vidiu device last year, I tried setting a Static IP, but it wouldn't stick. As I haven't tried it since, I'm wondering if a more recent firmware update has fixed that particular issue! I'm going to play with it again tonight, to see!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Biggles wrote:Incidentally when we got our Vidiu device last year, I tried setting a Static IP, but it wouldn't stick. As I haven't tried it since, I'm wondering if a more recent firmware update has fixed that particular issue! I'm going to play with it again tonight, to see!
I understand with the updated firewalls, you can set the static address on the router.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

russellhltn wrote:
Biggles wrote:Incidentally when we got our Vidiu device last year, I tried setting a Static IP, but it wouldn't stick. As I haven't tried it since, I'm wondering if a more recent firmware update has fixed that particular issue! I'm going to play with it again tonight, to see!
I understand with the updated firewalls, you can set the static address on the router.
To clarify I meant the Static IP set wouldn't stick in the Vidiu device. I'm playing with the device at the moment and so far so good! :D
danpass

Post by danpass »

After a webcast test a couple of weeks ago, I forgot to turn off the power on the VidiU. When I came back a week later, the display was functioning again. Since then, each time I power up the device, it has continued to function normally.

No action was taken by anyone to get it working.

In my webcast testing, I have encountered some issues that might be attributable to the VidiU device. I will start a new thread regarding those issues.
ramdocruz

Post by ramdocruz »

Hi Dan. I was wondering if you can give me a hand with the process to connect the Vidiu using the IP address. I am having the same issue with the display. I was able to identify the device IP address by connecting it directly to my pc but I can add it to the app even with both devices connected to the same network. Any ideas?

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”