YouTube is out [maybe not]

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

YouTube is out [maybe not]

Post by Mikerowaved »

After attending a Coordinating Council meeting last week, my stake president informed me that all the stakes represented received direction that YouTube servers were not to be used for streaming stake conferences or other church meetings.

Even though the privacy of the video can be controlled, the biggest issue is the church no longer has control whether the conference will be saved on the YouTube servers following the conclusion of the conference, particularly when a visiting authority was to speak. This is an option that only the originator (usually the STS) has control over.

I understand their wisdom and will comply. I can't confirm this is a church-wide policy, but it appears to be leaning in that direction. I have 5 or so months until our next conference, so I'll try to let you know where this leads. It may be as simple as using the same setup that I outlined HERE, only pointing Wirecast to the church's servers instead of YouTube.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jay.burgon

Re: YouTube is out

Post by jay.burgon »

Good to know. It makes sense from the Church's perspective. Was this just for stakes in the Davis County area? It'll be interesting to see if/when anyone else hears this.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Mikerowaved wrote:the biggest issue is the church no longer has control whether the conference will be saved on the YouTube servers following the conclusion of the conference, particularly when a visiting authority was to speak. This is an option that only the originator (usually the STS) has control over.
That same concern would seem to extend to any non-church service that offers the ability to record the broadcast. So, it would appear to affect more than just YouTube.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

russellhltn wrote:That same concern would seem to extend to any non-church service that offers the ability to record the broadcast. So, it would appear to affect more than just YouTube.
Probably, but YouTube was specifically mentioned. I sometimes wonder if my success stories with YouTube posted here were escalated to the attention of those in the capacity to make these kinds of decisions. It doesn't really matter; just curious.

What's kind of funny is if an STS really wanted to record a stake conference, it would be easy enough for him to do. In other words, the ultimate control of recording or not is still in the hands of the STS, no matter what webcasting service they use, including the church's. Of course obedience is the key, but that would hold true for any webcasting method.

Just for the record, I have zero problem following the council received.
Hagothsen

Post by Hagothsen »

Just for the record, I have zero problem following the council received.
Sigh... at least it was good for a little while.

Very well, I tried to make Stake Conference in a remote building as palatable as possible. I am also guessing we're precluded from using other CDNs as well, ya? Our stake just split, perhaps we can just stuff everyone into the Stake Center.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Hagothsen wrote:I am also guessing we're precluded from using other CDNs as well, ya?
Based on what was said above, I'd avoid any that have the ability to record the stream.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

Hagothsen

Post by Hagothsen »

I'm sure the argument will be that there's no way to guarantee that they won't record it, even if they say they don't.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

Hagothsen wrote:I'm sure the argument will be that there's no way to guarantee that they won't record it, even if they say they don't.
You're probably right, although even using the church's system, recording is trivial, so it really all comes down to obedience.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Keep in mind that recording it on YouTube's servers makes it one button click away from mass distribution. Something that's different from making a recording off of the chapel system.

Hagothsen

Post by Hagothsen »

I thought I read somewhere that the church's solution uses Microsoft Azure. How can we be 100% sure that they're not keeping recordings? While we're at it, how can we be sure anything streaming over the internet, isn't being recorded? Here in Vegas, our ISP has changed to Cox in many areas. Now, we can't keep Cox WiFi (unfiltered, raw internet) out of our buildings. The FM Group says they've got them to turn it off, but it isn't. I'm not saying the church IT departments aren't capable of negotiating provisions for non-recording with their chosen CDN. Certainly, every CDN is capable of recording. How do you verify that it isn't happening?

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”