Feb 14th NW Broadcast

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Feb 14th NW Broadcast

Post by russellhltn »

bspittle wrote:I've confirmed that the intent of the instructions was not to preclude a webcast.
Can you elaborate on how it was confirmed? There was nothing in the instructions that would preclude holding meetings simultaneously across the stake in different buildings - including buildings without satellite. But I saw the instructions as pointing stake to not try and webcast.

Note that the instructions I'm referring to were found in "Stake Conference Broadcast Instruction§ for Stake Presidents". It is only hinted at in the "Stake Conference Broadcast Timeline", and not mentioned at all in "Satellite Equipment Operator Instructions".
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
rannthal
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by rannthal »

Let me try to clear the water about regional conferences.

The first 30 minutes of the regional conference, the stakes are to use the webcasting system to broadcast their local business to any remote buildings.
(**NOTE** We were directed to use the webcasting system, even though it was not designed to facilitate this many events that regional events carries. It is like trying to put a 2 inch diameter peg into a 1 inch diameter hole. I guess if you pound hard enough the peg will eventually to in the hole.....with considerable damage to the peg or the hole. Please know that we are working on making the hole bigger, but it means rethinking and revamping the system. It is going to take time. Please have patience. I will post on another thread some work-arounds if one experiences problems.)

The second part of the regional conference is broadcasted from a single place. This broadcast DOES NOT USE the webcasting system. It is an ENTIRELY DIFFERENT system and is in NO WAY CONNECTED with webcasting. A link to this broadcast could be obtained by calling the GSC (Global Service Center). If one experiences problems with this part of the conference, it is not the webcasting system. Please check your internet connections at the receive sites.

These instructions were sent out to the stake presidencies that were involved in the regional conferences.

For all those who experienced problems with the second part of the conference and using internet streaming, please check your internet connections.
For those who experienced problems with the first 30 minutes, I apologize. Please see the above note. I will also post on a separate thread some work-arounds/tricks that could be used to get around problems.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

rannthal wrote:Let me try to clear the water about regional conferences.
Thank you for your clarifications. Please continue to clarify if you are able.
rannthal wrote:The first 30 minutes of the regional conference, the stakes are to use the webcasting system to broadcast their local business to any remote buildings.
This conflicts with the instructions stake presidents received concerning the local portion of the broadcast, although granted, many stakes tried to stream anyway.

The instructions to stake presidents, if the conference was held in multiple locations, were that a counselor in the stake presidency or an assigned high councilor "will preside and conduct" in each location in order to handle the local stake business. Additionally, prayers, hymns, speakers, musical numbers, prelude and postlude music should be provided "in each location." Based on those instructions, I do not envision the need for a local stream, as nice as it would be.
rannthal wrote:The second part of the regional conference is broadcasted from a single place. This broadcast DOES NOT USE the webcasting system. It is an ENTIRELY DIFFERENT system and is in NO WAY CONNECTED with webcasting.
Good to know and clarifies one of the earlier questions. Thanks.
rannthal wrote:These instructions were sent out to the stake presidencies that were involved in the regional conferences.
Except that as I mentioned, stake presidents were not instructed to stream the first 30 minutes of the local portion of the conference.
rannthal wrote:For those who experienced problems with the first 30 minutes, I apologize. Please see the above note. I will also post on a separate thread some work-arounds/tricks that could be used to get around problems.
I am all in favor of being able to stream the first 30 minutes of the conference. I say that personally, and realize full well that it conflicts with the current direction from headquarters regarding regional conferences. Therefore, I feel I may need to speedily repent.

And perhaps this is the clarification that really needs to be sent out to stake leaders for the next regional conference.

Another suggestion I have is that if the reservations are going to overtax the local system, perhaps there is a way that they can be rejected and not approved. Or perhaps a reservation would only be accepted for a stake that was not a part of the regional conference.

If the reservation is not accepted, someone such as bspittle would not have been in the pickle of finding out at the last minute that he could not get the local conference to his 13th location (and any others to which a high councilor was not able to travel that morning). And he could have petitioned for a special exemption to obtain a valid reservation based on the circumstances of his particular stake.
bspittle

Post by bspittle »

Webcasting the local 30 minute session did not conflict with "current direction from headquarters". The only stipulation was not webcasting the main session to other locations, which each building could pick up either by Satellite or internet connection for those location without a satellite receiver.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

bspittle wrote:Webcasting the local 30 minute session did not conflict with "current direction from headquarters". The only stipulation was not webcasting the main session to other locations, which each building could pick up either by Satellite or internet connection for those location without a satellite receiver.
Perhaps because of your location you received different instruction from headquarters. That is entirely possible. The directions we received said the stake "will" have local meetings presided over by stake presidency and high council, with local music, speakers, prayers, and everything else.

Again, though, you have said that you received different or additional direction. That's fine. And you have made an excellent case for needing to broadcast the local portion of the conference, which I addressed in my post.

I am not saying you did anything wrong. I am only going with what I know. You have stated that you received further light and knowledge on the matter which allowed you to do what you did. There are others in your situation (and worse) who would like to have access to the source of your additional information, if possible.

Furthermore, if your stake president made the decision to do it, he has the keys and I would fully support him, even if the local broadcast system didn't.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

bspittle wrote:Webcasting the local 30 minute session did not conflict with "current direction from headquarters".
Let's just say that is not what I'm seeing in the second paragraph under "Presiding" in written communication I got. I assume everyone got the same instructions - maybe the different areas got different instructions.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
strago

Post by strago »

rannthal wrote:For all those who experienced problems with the second part of the conference and using internet streaming, please check your internet connections.
For those who experienced problems with the first 30 minutes, I apologize. Please see the above note. I will also post on a separate thread some work-arounds/tricks that could be used to get around problems.
Instead of having to rely on the internet, an easy solution could be recording the second part of conference a month in advanced, and then stakes simply download the video before conference, or play a DVD if they can get that, and just press play after the first 30 minutes of conference is up! No internet needed! No internet connection issues!
showseason

Post by showseason »

Is this broadcast going to be online for viewing later on?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

showseason wrote:Is this broadcast going to be online for viewing later on?
If it is, that would be a first. I've not heard of any regional or stake conference broadcast being made available.

showseason

Post by showseason »

Is this going to broadcast online later?

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”