Streaming Sacrament Meeting

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
SheffieldTR
Community Moderators

Post by SheffieldTR »

It was interesting to review where we have come from. I realize that this is an old thread, but it was fun to reread what was being discussed 3 years ago. I make this commentary because I am currently streaming sacrament meeting and the whole 3-hour block each week. i am doing it with the least amount of equipment that I can think of. Let me list them: Dell laptop running Win7 with Meetinghouse webcast software on it and a logitech Quick cam Pro for laptops. I am plugged into power and network at the podium and set the laptop on a small stool (borrowed from the drinking fountain) behind the modesty rail with the webcam on the mounting stick that comes with it sitting on the side of the podium aimed at the speaker. That is the only thing visible to the congregation.

I am able to use a wireless mouse to mute and un-mute the mic and camera during the sacrament. After sacrament meeting I unplug and carry back to the RS room where gospel doctrine is held. Set up restart the same stream and leave it on for both SS class and RS held in the same room.

This has been a wonderful blessing to the sister who has cancer in my ward and is not able to join us. Her husband and son are then able to give her the sacrament after the block when they get home.

For this situation I cannot think of a better solution and am very grateful for the technology and how it is blessing this member and families lives.

I just thought I would share how I was doing this so that you can see that some methods can be very small and others, like for stake conference can be very large. I would not recommend using this solution for a stake conference, just like using two or more cameras and words to the hymns overlayed on the screen for a weekly ward sacrament meeting would not be appropriate in my mind.

Anyway, I hope this helps some decide on how they might choose to move forward. Depending on what their individual needs are.

Thanks,
Troy
pwhiting wrote:regionally allocated equiptment (FM group, area, whatever) is being considered.

there are companies that rent gear out for this very purpose - most of the ones I've seen are targetting the building-to-building problem with line-of-sight solutions.
lionelwalters

Post by lionelwalters »

Hi Troy,

This sounds great. Just a logistical question, I haven't been able to find how to mute the audio or video using the Webcast software. Can you point me in the right direction? Do you know if it's possible to change audio/video sources mid-stream?

Thanks in advance,
Lionel
JamesAnderson

Post by JamesAnderson »

I would think that muting sound could be done at the camera level, or microphone level if that is input separately, before it even goes to the stream, usually in a situation like for example, a broadcast program that is done live, the camera operator or sound man can kill the sound when not needed.
lionelwalters

Post by lionelwalters »

JamesAnderson wrote:I would think that muting sound could be done at the camera level, or microphone level if that is input separately, before it even goes to the stream, usually in a situation like for example, a broadcast program that is done live, the camera operator or sound man can kill the sound when not needed.
In the configuration that Troy mentioned - i.e. using a Logitech webcamera - I don't believe there's a mute function on the camera itself. I have since discovered, though, that Windows 7 allows you to mute the audio source directly.
SheffieldTR
Community Moderators

Post by SheffieldTR »

I use the audio and video mute on the logitech tool bar. There is a shade option that does both with one click, but I have not been able to make that work well for me yet. The nice thing about that option is that you can select a picture of the Savior to be displayed during the sacrament which would be really nice. I'll let you know when I get that working.
Troy
lionelwalters wrote:In the configuration that Troy mentioned - i.e. using a Logitech webcamera - I don't believe there's a mute function on the camera itself. I have since discovered, though, that Windows 7 allows you to mute the audio source directly.
loflorian

Re: Streaming Sacrament Meeting

Post by loflorian »

It's now 11 years since this thread originated. Technology is advanced to the point that live streamin the block would be very simple on any number of platforms.

Unfortunately I was exposed to and lived in toxic mold for several months. Now my resilience to even the most minute amount of mold is nil, causing painful contractures/dystonia and respiratory arrest. Needless to say, going to church (and 70% of all buildings, stores, restaurants, and even doctor's offices) in my area has become impossible. It is a long healing process, made more difficult because I am missing out on the spiritual boost of actively participating in weekly meetings.

I hope I can get approval to live stream our meetings. It's been months since I could attend a full sacrament meeting without ending up in the hospital.
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

loflorian wrote: ...

I hope I can get approval to live stream our meetings. It's been months since I could attend a full sacrament meeting without ending up in the hospital.
Having a family member who also suffers from reactions to mold, I understand at least a little of those frustrations. I don't know the answer about live streaming. However, there might be an alternative that would be a little closer than nothing.

Have you talked with your bishop about at least getting audio recordings of the post-ordinance portion of sacrament meeting? At least in past years, that was specifically allowed for those who physically cannot attend meetings. In fact, several years ago, I was instructed that is the purpose for the 'Record Out' jack built in to the chapel PA system. Of course, the presiding officer (bishop, stake presidency member, etc.) has the final decision about recording any specific meeting.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Church policy still forbids video recordings in the chapel or webcasting any events from the chapel. That's not something the local leaders can override on their own authority.

Audio recordings as rmrichesjr mention appear acceptable. In the past, the church as staged sacrament meetings for broadcast. You may be able to find those. Of course there is general conference and any number of devotionals available.

As for the sacrament itself, your ward should be making arrangements to bring that to you.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Tamati

Post by Tamati »

Usage Guidelines
Handbook 2: Administering the Church, 21.2.10 states that meetings or events held in the chapel are to not be broadcast over the Internet. The exception is webcasting when approved by the stake president (see 18.3.1). Webcasts should not be used to broadcast ordinances such as baptisms or the administration of the sacrament.

Meetinghouse webcasts are intended to be used to broadcast events from one Church building to other Church buildings. Webcasting to locations other than Church buildings should only be done under the direction of the event's presiding authority.

Seems with both Stake pres. and Bishop approval you could webcast to a chronically ill person to their home...of course each individuals circumstance is different and would be considered case by case
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

TAMATI wrote:Usage Guidelines
Handbook 2: Administering the Church, 21.2.10 states that meetings or events held in the chapel are to not be broadcast over the Internet. The exception is webcasting when approved by the stake president (see 18.3.1). Webcasts should not be used to broadcast ordinances such as baptisms or the administration of the sacrament.
I'm not sure where you're seeing that. Handbook 2: 21.2.10 that's on-line says "Meetings and other events that are held in the chapel may not be broadcast over the Internet or by any other means (see 18.3.1 for an exception)."

Section 18.3.1 is titled "Stake Conference".

Based on that, I'd say any permission to broadcast from the chapel (except for Stake Conference) would require approval from someone higher than a stake president.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”