Connecting camcorder HDMI output to bldg rf/composite video distribution system (& VidiU)

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
CalS201

Connecting camcorder HDMI output to bldg rf/composite video distribution system (& VidiU)

Post by CalS201 »

We are changing from EVI-D70 cameras to HD camcorders (and VidiU Encoder) for webcasting. The plan is to send the camcorder's HDMI output to a "HDMI 1:3 Splitter" to 1) send HDMI to VidiU encoder, 2: display webcast on HDMI monitor in control booth, and 3) convert HDMI to composite video for sending to overflow rooms (via bldg's rf/composite distribution system in the bldg).

We haven't purchased the HDMI Splitter or the HDMI to Composite Adapter yet and I would like to learn from others experience. Has anyone done this already? What HDMI>Composite adapter did you use? What did you learn in the process?
michaelfish

Re: Connecting camcorder HDMI output to bldg rf/composite video distribution system (& VidiU)

Post by michaelfish »

I've used several inexpensive 1:4 HDMI splitters with good results. Just make sure they are powered - not passive (no power).
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Re: Connecting camcorder HDMI output to bldg rf/composite video distribution system (& VidiU)

Post by Mikerowaved »

As far as HDMI>Composite adapters go, you pretty much get what you pay for. Stay away from the little "mini" adapters and go with something better. I tried several with varying results and finally settled on one made by ViewHD. All will create an anamorphic composite image, meaning, they will horizontally squeeze a 16:9 image down to the 4:3 format. This is not a problem if you have a flat-screen TV in your overflow area(s). They will have a display setting that allows you to expand the squeezed image back to 16:9. On most TV's you change the setting from "normal" to "wide", or other such verbage. Most of your video projectors will have a similar setting. There will be an unavoidable loss to the picture quality, but it's bearable with a good adapter.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
CalS201

Post by CalS201 »

Mikerowaved, I found several ViewHD adapters on Amazon.

ASIN#, MODEL#, NAME
=================================================
B00LK95VNQ, H2STVs , HDMI TO COMPOSITE & S-VIDEO
B00DSSCBZ8, VHD-168, HDMI2AV Converter
B0080KN18K, VHD-MH2A, HDMI2AV Mini Converter

Can you identify which one you finally settled on ?
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

Sorry, I should have been more specific. It was the first one on your list [Amazon link], only mine came in a white case.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”