Webcasting help offered

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
rannthal
Church Employee
Church Employee

Re: Webcasting help offered

Post by rannthal »

russellhltn wrote:
rannthal wrote:I'm not familiar with what is going on there. I've never heard that headquarters had to "fix settings".
A little more detail can be found in this thread
Yeah, I read that, but that still didn't explain what was going on. Headquarters should never have to just "fix something". I'm aware of several possible things that could go wrong where it might take a call to GSC for help, but this shouldn't happen regularly, especially 2 times in a row. If there is a real problem, I want to know about it so we can fix it. If it was just a pure coincidence.......well not much to be done with that. But until I understand a few things like stake and time that conference was scheduled I can't really investigate to figure out what the problem was and then answer the question.
rsidwell

Post by rsidwell »

rannthal wrote: Network: Change the VidiU to use Wired only. Turn off WiFi and USB Modem. Leave the other settings as is.
If you want to use the VidiU mobile app, you need to set the WiFi to "Access Point". This doesn't make the VidiU use wireless for the stream (the building WiFi should be disabled anyway), but makes the VidiU itself an access point that your mobile device can connect to. I tried this at our stake conference a couple of weeks ago. The app is cool, but my spot at the back of the chapel manning the camera was too far to get a good wireless signal from the VidiU.
rannthal
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by rannthal »

rsidwell wrote:If you want to use the VidiU mobile app, you need to set the WiFi to "Access Point". This doesn't make the VidiU use wireless for the stream (the building WiFi should be disabled anyway), but makes the VidiU itself an access point that your mobile device can connect to. I tried this at our stake conference a couple of weeks ago. The app is cool, but my spot at the back of the chapel manning the camera was too far to get a good wireless signal from the VidiU.
Cool feature. Personally I've never used the mobile app, but good on you for figuring some cool stuff out. I'll have to try that out. :D
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

rannthal wrote:You shouldn't have to call in, it should just work for you.
Sorry for the delay in getting back here after posting. I will send a PM.

The most recent occasion was for our regular stake conference on October 11. The feed would not start. GSC was called. Settings were changed. The webcast worked flawlessly afterward.

I was told by the person who made the call (another STS) that we could not have made the changes ourselves to make it work.
rannthal
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by rannthal »

Question answered.

To summarize, the church works with third party vendors and sometimes those vendors have errors of their own on their products. The church has to work with them to correct that solve them. Unfortunately, you guy get the brunt of it when things like that happen.

Rest assured, we are aware and set out to squash and mitigate and work around things like that when they happen.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

rannthal wrote:
Aczlan wrote:
rannthal wrote:VidiU: Make sure the VidiU is fully upgraded. If when the unit is turned on, it will check for firmware updates. Choose yes when there is one available.....unless it is right before a live stream; do it prehand while testing.
So are we no longer restricted to firmware version 2.2.0 (as listed at https://www.lds.org/help/support/vidiu- ... e?lang=eng )?

Aaron Z
In my opinion, upgrade it. I'll try to post something here if I find out otherwise.
Do you have any further information on using the manufacturers latest firmware?
rannthal
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by rannthal »

The latest is 2.3.4. It works well. That's about all I got unless you have a specific question about it.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

rannthal wrote:The latest is 2.3.4. It works well. That's about all I got unless you have a specific question about it.
No specific question. Just curious as to why the Church isn't using the manufacturers latest version of the firmware.
rannthal
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by rannthal »

They just haven't updated that page yet. Teradek updates there firmware regularly, which makes it hard for the documentation to keep up. It should state to make sure the software is updated to the latest version. It only said that in the past, due to a possible problem we had with the firmware update 2.2.1, but that has long since been corrected. I don't even think you can download 2.2.0 from the Teradek site anymore.

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”