Salt Lake Assistance Required to Webcast

Conversations around originating a webcast for conference, including cameras and mixers.
Community Moderators

Salt Lake Assistance Required to Webcast

Postby lajackson » Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:59 pm

I begin by posting a quote from another thread:

danieldawson wrote:I should also note, we had a full 2 hour broadcast 4 weeks ago from our stake conference that was a disaster. The broadcast didn't work and neither did our backup option.

There is some kind of problem at headquarters with the new webcast system and the Teradek VidiU equipment. Each of the last two times our stake has run a webcast, it would not start. We have called headquarters, and they have had to change settings on their end on their servers so that we could start the broadcast. Each time they have said that we could have done nothing to solve the problem ourselves and that they were glad they were there to help.

We now schedule an extra 15-30 minutes before each webcast to allow time to make the call. Once Salt Lake changes their settings, the webcast works flawlessly. Without their changes to their settings, the webcast never begins.

If you have trouble starting a webcast, I highly recommend you call. It has twice made the difference between a successful stake conference broadcast and total failure.

Re: Salt Lake Assistance Required to Webcast

Postby rsidwell » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:35 pm

Yes, there still seem to be some glitches in the new webcast system. For our stake conference session last Saturday evening, the webcast wouldn't start. The server name was not found. I called and the technician was not able to fix the problem, but he did suggest a workaround that worked fine: create a new event using a different region. I had to do the same for the Sunday general session. But that worked great; the quality is much better than the webcast platform.

I second lajackson's advice: if you have trouble starting a webcast, call the support line. Also, take full advantage of the two hour pre-webcast window to work out any issues.

Return to “Webcasting”