Streaming at home via YouTube

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Re: Streaming at home via YouTube

Post by Mikerowaved »

justincy wrote:We performed a successful test on Sunday. The quality and reliability make it well worth any effort required to bypass the firewall.
That was my feeling too. Once you got the uplink PC configured properly, the rest was super simple. No matter how you viewed the stream, or on what device, it just worked.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
rl_albright

Post by rl_albright »

So I received the new Teradek VidiU box today, and have been reading up more on it. I think I may agree with utilizing YouTube as the broadcast engine. However how did you do this altogether. With the church firewall blocking Youtube, how does one view the stream at the remote sites? I have a remote site that is on an island and until about 2 months ago was stuck at 1.5mbps download, after an unfortunately incident with their modem, I discovered that they can (and now are) receiving internet at 10 mbps. So that means I could transmit a high-quality stream to them. I need a little instruction to make this work flawlessly.

Thank you
justincy

Post by justincy »

Filtering is done through the firewall, so you just have to bypass the firewall to access YouTube. Change the network setup so that your connection to the modem does not go through the firewall. After the broadcast is over return the network to it's previous setup so that the firewall is being used again.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

rl_albright wrote:I have a remote site that is on an island and until about 2 months ago was stuck at 1.5mbps download, after an unfortunately incident with their modem, I discovered that they can (and now are) receiving internet at 10 mbps. So that means I could transmit a high-quality stream to them. I need a little instruction to make this work flawlessly.
This can't be done remotely, so either a trip to the island or a reliable person at that end will be needed to make the change in cabling. It's strongly recommended to have no other wired or wireless connections active while the firewall is bypassed other than the one PC needed to receive the stream. I would only attempt this if you are familiar with network wiring, or have an assistant who is. Even then, take pictures before and after to make sure everything gets put back the way it was.

Oh, and it's not just the remote sites - the firewall will also need to be bypassed at the uplink site as well.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
rl_albright

Post by rl_albright »

Mikerowaved wrote:
rl_albright wrote:I have a remote site that is on an island and until about 2 months ago was stuck at 1.5mbps download, after an unfortunately incident with their modem, I discovered that they can (and now are) receiving internet at 10 mbps. So that means I could transmit a high-quality stream to them. I need a little instruction to make this work flawlessly.
This can't be done remotely, so either a trip to the island or a reliable person at that end will be needed to make the change in cabling. It's strongly recommended to have no other wired or wireless connections active while the firewall is bypassed other than the one PC needed to receive the stream. I would only attempt this if you are familiar with network wiring, or have an assistant who is. Even then, take pictures before and after to make sure everything gets put back the way it was.

Oh, and it's not just the remote sites - the firewall will also need to be bypassed at the uplink site as well.
I am quite knowledgeable when it comes to computer networks, and am easily able to set this up this way. I just was thinking that you were using a different method for streaming to YouTube through the church firewall. The reason we need to stream out to the island is it cost a lot of money to drive or walk on to the ferry ($5.70 per person walk on; $26 per vehicle including driver, plus extra for passengers.) Fortunately for me, I have someone on the island who I have trained to know how to hook up their computer for the broadcast and their network is super simple (DSL modem to Firewall to branch clerk computer.)

Of the concern with wired/wireless connections I am fully aware of this, and usually disable the wireless access points about 1 hour before stake conference. (Love that feature of TM!!!)
weldon

Post by weldon »

We used YouTube for our recent stake conference because we haven't received the Vidiu unit from FM yet. It worked very well and we got a great picture in our remote buildings and a few shut-ins. I was able to use the YouTube dashboard to see how many streams were being received and to monitor the progress of the broadcast. I liked it.

I'm considering keeping this system if tests with the new system confirm that it requires more upstream bandwidth and computing power on the receive end.
harddrive

Post by harddrive »

And I use PVC and not have to by pass the firewall at all. I can't bypass the firewall at my stake center because it is connected directly to the Internet. There is no "modem" between the firewall and the ONT box from Verizon.

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”