Using VidiU with older technology Sony EVI-D70

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
harddrive

Re: Using VidiU with older technology Sony EVI-D70

Post by harddrive »

At 480i, you are getting DVD quality video. My thing is this, why should I be able to see how well my stake president shaved his face? I currently am using the Sony EVI-D70 came and the picture at the computer or even a tablet receiving the broadcast is good ro great. I use PVC, by the way. However my problem is that from the computer to the in house video distrubtion system to the projector, I lose picture quality. I know that there is noise on the line and other stuff. We are looking at different ways of getting the video to the video distrubtion system and to the projector so that we get the best picture we can.

Based on reading this, I think the biggest thing we need to be focusing on isn't so much the quality of the picture, but to make sure that the sound is the best because I can do the best video, but if the sound isn't there, then there is no need to do the broadcast. Sound doesn't take bandwdith, but video does. I try to make sure that the sound is the best.

Just my 2 cents worth
Terry
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

The best and only feasible solution for old buildings I've found so far, as I've previously posted, is the HDMI over coax extender from Sewell Direct. I haven't gotten an HD camera yet though; I was hoping the church would come out with a standard. If there were even a way to send full 480 signals over coax it would be a significant improvement though.
Craig
South Jordan, UT
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

I must say though that I have nothing but problems with aspect ratio compatibility, both at church and at home. We got the HDMI over coax solution so we could display PC-based content in the cultural hall. I initially tried a VGA to composite converter but had aspect ratio issues. Hopefully the webcast will work fine; I don't know why this is so difficult.
Craig
South Jordan, UT
rolandc

Post by rolandc »

craiggsmith wrote:The best and only feasible solution for old buildings I've found so far, as I've previously posted, is the HDMI over coax extender from Sewell Direct. I haven't gotten an HD camera yet though; I was hoping the church would come out with a standard. If there were even a way to send full 480 signals over coax it would be a significant improvement though.

I run SDI signal to an HDMI converter over RG-59 at 1080P, picture perfect.
Roland
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

rolandc wrote:I run SDI signal to an HDMI converter over RG-59 at 1080P, picture perfect.
So please clarify for me as I'm not really a video guy -- I hear SD and SDI and it seems they are two different things. My understanding is that SDI is a professional standard that can handle HD signals, and the equipment is quite expensive. Whereas SD is simply standard def.

Also, how far are you running it?
Craig
South Jordan, UT
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

craiggsmith wrote:So please clarify for me as I'm not really a video guy -- I hear SD and SDI and it seems they are two different things.
They are.

SD is the video we all know and love from the 80's.

SDI is a digital signal that can be carried over the same single coax wiring. It could be most any resolution of video - including 4K. This simplifes the task of getting digital video from point A to point B without having to run all new wiring.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

Thanks. So now I see a whole bunch of converters for reasonable prices, but when I looked into this before all I saw were very expensive ones. Rats. It seems that is the way to go. It would be nice if the church had some recommendations; it seems time to take the HD plunge. Not that we need HD video, but we need consistent aspect ratios and the ability to send computer presentations throughout the building. And somewhat better video would be nice, although maybe the new service is better.

How long have you been using your equipment? Mine is very sensitive to connections. I redid all of them, and returned some cheap connectors. And one of the cables I had a professional in my ward make stopped working after the first time.
Craig
South Jordan, UT
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

craiggsmith wrote:it seems time to take the HD plunge. Not that we need HD video, but we need consistent aspect ratios and the ability to send computer presentations throughout the building. And somewhat better video would be nice, although maybe the new service is better.
We just got a new chapel complete with screen and projector. Without double checking, I think both were SD aspect ratio (4:3). And yes, I believe conference is broadcast in 16:9, which makes it letter boxed. While the playback looked a tad fuzzy, the names when they were put on the screen seemed to be nice and crisp.

craiggsmith wrote:How long have you been using your equipment?
For webcasting? I haven't gotten it yet. I suspect November will be my first run. But I haven't got the VidU yet.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

russellhltn wrote:
craiggsmith wrote:How long have you been using your equipment? ...
For webcasting? I haven't gotten it yet. I suspect November will be my first run. But I haven't got the VidU yet.
Sorry, meant to direct that part to rolandc!
Craig
South Jordan, UT
rolandc

Post by rolandc »

First let me say the "recommended" camera is the Sony D80, run through the Atlona converter produces a very nice picture.

Our camera is about three months old and its about 250' cable run.
Roland

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”