EVI-D80 Camera Controller

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
tdurhamjr

Re: EVI-D80 Camera Controller

Post by tdurhamjr »

michaelfish wrote:There are several ways you can control the Sony EVI-D80. A joystick controller, computer mouse/keyboard, or Infrared Wireless remote.

I have had experience with several joystick controllers including Vaddio, Sony, Kato (a Chinese brand). The prices for these vary depending one features, ease of use, if you purchase it new or used, etc.

My personal preference is either the Vaddio or Sony. Used Sony's start at about $700, and Vaddio's at about $1,000. They offer the best 3-axis joystick control including variable speed servo control (PTZ action - from slowest the camera can do [14 or more incremental steps] to the fastest possible). These controllers are super easy to use and there is almost no learning curve. Sony PTZ cameras have 6 internal presets which memorize every setting of the camera (position, zoom, focus, color, brightness, etc.) and the controllers have buttons reserved for each preset.

One of the best features of these controllers is the ability to override automatic white balance settings and fine-tune brightness and color settings so you can achieve the best possible picture and match cameras if you are using more than one.

Camera control is achieved by RS-232 or RS-422 communication using a set of commands (protocol) developed by Sony called VISCA. RS-422 can go 4,000 feet, and connection is simple with CAT5 cable (only 4 wires are used). Most of us prefer to use RS-422 instead of the RS-232 (requires a special 8-pin DIN connector and the recommended cable length is less than 50 feet - however some have had success with longer lengths). For RS-422, simply strip 4 CAT5 wires and secure them to the correct pins on the 9-pin Phoenix connector (transmit+ goes to receive+ and so on). If you choose to daisy-chain additional cameras, the 4 other pins go to the next camera, with one of the pins reserved for ground.

Sony controllers are used by professional broadcasters (they call PTZ cameras "Robo's") and they're great for worship services. The controllers can connect to and control up to 7 cameras.

The Kato controller is about a third of the price of the Sony and the 3-axis control is just as good, but it's other features are difficult to use. Controlling anything other than the movement is difficult or not even possible. The only features worth using are PTZ control and memorizing presets. Connection is the same as the Sony.

Side note: Sony's broadcast quality line of PTZ cameras are BRC instead of EVI. The baby of their professional line-up is the BRC-300 which has incredible smooth and super-slow PTZ control. Good used cameras start at about $600.
Michael,
I have 2 BRC Z700 cams and 3 EV1-HD1. I have a RM-BR300 and we will be using vMix to manage our inhouse screen media and the live stream. I have used vMix for several years doing live streaming and we are now getting our church updated :)
I wanted to put 1 or 2 of the EV1's down at the front of the sanctuary (in front of choir loft) mainly for events like graduation, weddings, etc where that camera view would be very helpful. However, the cable run would be an estimated 300 feet. Is there advise you can share? I don't think the EV1's support RS-422 so would heavier wire work with the long distance for RS-232?

Thanks for any help you or anyone can provide!
harddrive

Post by harddrive »

WOW, where do you come up with the money for 5 of these cameras? You are talking over $18,000 in cameras. I have also been told that we are not to make things production and from it sounds like you have a major production going on. I'm lucky to get the EVI-D80 or the other Sony camera.

Terry
tdurhamjr

Post by tdurhamjr »

I have been patient and buying them used looking for GREAT deals :) . I paid a fraction of that price. I agree on production. But you might have missed that this is a dual purpose setup. We want to be able to stream weddings, and other school events that are held in the sanctuary as well as our regular Sunday services. I am hoping Michael or someone can help shed some light on the setup.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

tdurhamjr wrote:We want to be able to stream weddings, and other school events that are held in the sanctuary as well as our regular Sunday services.
This is an unusual situation. I think it's safe to say it's a situation that doesn't apply to 99.9% of us. Most of us are limited to 2 meetings a year from the chapel (Stake Conference) and perhaps a few more originating from other areas of the building.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jmjoness

Post by jmjoness »

The control commands for the BRC-Z700 and EVI-HD1 cameras are the same as the commands for the EVI-D80 (30/70/90) cameras. The software described here: http://rnl3c.com/ptzc/ can control those cameras. I have just recently added joystick/gamepad capability so you can control your cameras using a joystick with many of the same features (presets, color balance, exposure control).
tdurhamjr

Post by tdurhamjr »

Very nice info!! Do u know the realistic longest length the rs232 cable can be? I was planning on using cat5 or cat6 wire for the rs232.
harddrive

Post by harddrive »

Tell me where you have gotten them used and for what price. I find on eBay that the cameras are still going for $3,000 to $4,000.

Also, in Church Handbook 2 section 21.2.10 it states:

Photographs, Video Recordings, and Broadcasts in Chapels

Taking photographs or making video recordings in chapels is not permitted. Meetings and other events that are held in the chapel may not be broadcast over the Internet or by any other means (see 18.3.1 for an exception).

and Section 18.3.1 is on stake conference and a paragraph in that section states:
If necessary, conference sessions may be broadcast to other locations in the stake.

So from the way that I read these two policies, by "stream weddings, and other school events that are held in the sanctuary (chapel) as well as our regular Sunday service," you are actually in violation of the policy of using the chapel. Like Russell says, as long as it is from any other room in the building it is allowed under the direction of church leaders.

Just to give you an example. In my stake we have a building that is scheduled to be dedicated in November. My stake president was hoping to broadcast the dedication to other chapels in our stake. He says, "There is NOT a need to broadcast to the rest of this stake. At this point, even if it was possible, it is not approved."
michaelfish

Post by michaelfish »

tdurhamjr wrote:Do u know the realistic longest length the rs232 cable can be? I was planning on using cat5 or cat6 wire for the rs232.
It depends on the bauld rate and cable qualtity/type. The second post in this topic shows a chart listing the maximum length as 500 feet if you use 9600 buad (which is typical) over a category 5 cable.
michaelfish

Post by michaelfish »

harddrive wrote:WOW, where do you come up with the money for 5 of these cameras? You are talking over $18,000 in cameras. Terry
For years I have tried to explain that it is possible to purchase equipment for a fraction of new, if you know what to look for and are patient.

For an example, I recently helped a stake find and purchase a complete Vaddio multi-camera system which included a ProductionVIEW Precision Camera Joystick Controller link, 3 Vaddio HD-18 cameras including CCU's and power supplies link.

Retail on the Vaddio™ WallVIEW™ CCU HD-18 = $5,395/ea, ProductionVIEW Precision Camera Joystick Controller = $2,495 or a total retail value at $18,680 plus tax and shipping.

We purchased all this for $2,950 on eBay.

My thoughts are simply this:
If you or your stake wants to emulate the same viewing experience as General Conference...why pay over $817 PLUS tax and shipping for a new Sony EVI-80 when you could have purchased TWO incredible, broadcast quality, super smooth P/T/Z Sony BRC-300's (link) for about the same price (eBay sold listings link)?

As churches, broadcasters and video professional companies upgrade to HD, many deals can be found and purchased for a fraction of the price of new!
kellymab

Post by kellymab »

tdurhamjr wrote: I wanted to put 1 or 2 of the EV1's down at the front of the sanctuary (in front of choir loft) mainly for events like graduation, weddings, etc where that camera view would be very helpful.
I'm sure I missed something, but why are there weddings in the chapel? I didn't think the church allowed that. Granted that could have been my stake at the time.
Last edited by kellymab on Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”