VidiU backorder

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
drepouille

VidiU backorder

Post by drepouille »

I ordered a VidiU from store.lds.org three days ago, expecting it to be on backorder, and it is. Are there any estimates as to a possible shipping date?

I was tempted to buy a VidiU from another source, such as Amazon or eBay, but I wanted to ensure I order the same model and firmware level the Church requires. (Yes, I know I can flash it to 2.0.1 if necessary.)
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
rolandc

Re: VidiU backorder

Post by rolandc »

I had the same concerns, Church engineers assured me they are not specialized for our church.

DO NOT update to the latest firmware yet as it is not compatible with church servers.
Roland
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

If the backorder will take several weeks, then I need to cancel my order and obtain the VidiU from another source that can deliver it faster. My short suspense is not my idea, as this request came from a much higher source.
rolandc

Post by rolandc »

You should give Open broadcaster a try, with it you can use multiple cameras (one per usb capture device) and do overlays such as hymn texts and names. Free. Right now the Vidiu is the only supported way of modern webcasting. Wirecast was approved and pulled, not sure why.

Unless you have an HDMI camera to use with the vidiu you will also need a Composite to HDMI scaler, quality will suffer.

Open Broadcaster will run nicely on any modern computer.
Roland
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

The best computer I have has only a dual core processor, so I would not want to try a webcast with that. At the same time I ordered the VidiU, I ordered an HD camera from store.lds.org. Both are now on backorder.

We have a non-HD camera and tripod, and can easily buy a video signal converter if necessary. I see no need for multiple cameras or subtitles, especially since the invitation list for this special conference is very small, and the PTB want to keep the number of support staff to a minimum.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

drepouille wrote:My short suspense is not my idea, as this request came from a much higher source.
Given the situation (a visit by higher authorities), you might call CHQ and see if there's a package they can send for this event. Then you can wait and do your stake solution with less pressure.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

I placed my order on a Saturday morning. On Monday, I received the "back order" notice. On Thursday at 2 AM, I received the "shipped" notice. I had requested three-day shipping, so I should receive the VidiU by next Monday.

The price for the VidiU on store.lds.org is about $100 below MSRP, so I was glad I didn't have to order it from another source.

I had also ordered the Sony HD camera from store.lds.org, but I can do without it if it doesn't arrive soon. The price for that camera on store.lds.org does not appear to be very competitive with the market.
rolandc

Post by rolandc »

Let us know when you receive the Vidiu. I need to order two, saving two hundred is a big plus.
Roland
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

russellhltn wrote:Given the situation (a visit by higher authorities), you might call CHQ and see if there's a package they can send for this event. Then you can wait and do your stake solution with less pressure.
Interesting. I just called the Global Service Center to open a trouble ticket on the problems I have with the webcast portal GUI. The Level 1 tech who talked with me said the same thing. Visiting GAs usually bring their own equipment. Apparently our Area Seventy did not get that message. He simply tapped me to make the webcast happen.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

russellhltn wrote:Given the situation (a visit by higher authorities), you might call CHQ and see if there's a package they can send for this event. Then you can wait and do your stake solution with less pressure.
My Area Seventy says he has visited conferences with GAs as presiding authority, and he has never seen them bring their own A/V kit. The most I have ever seen a visiting authority bring to a stake conference was his iPad and an HDMI adapter.

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”