New tech in for stake conference

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
rl_albright

New tech in for stake conference

Post by rl_albright »

Well we just finished our first stake conference with the new technology that was installed in our building by my work. (I work for an A/V company) We upgraded all of the modulators to digital equipment, ran new lines in the building (old wiring was RG-59, upgraded to RG-6QS Plenum), added ability to have a DVD or other source played by default over the 70V overhead system, mounted a projector to the ceiling of the cultural hall (with a removable pole and dedicated power), 2 PTZ cameras with RS-232 control and many more things.

I did all of the tech for this conference, and it turned out sweet. We used my home computer to run Wirecast for all of the video processing, I used a 8 channel mixer (with a EJ-8 crab box) to mix computer audio into the 70V system (and also send the audio to the modulators which played in all of the peripheral rooms). Some of the tech things my stake president wanted was to show a web page during the evening session (was used to convert an individual that he had come to the pulpit), play a video (I'll Go Where You Want Me To Go from the Hastening the Work of Salvation broadcast, which I re-mixed adding the subtitles into the video), used another EJ-8 box so that the stake president could tele-conference from the pulpit with a member who was away at BYU (and couldn't make it to conference) and set it up so that we could hear everything she said in the phone, broadcast a few powerpoint presentations, did picture in picture for ASL, and lower thirds for hymn words. I had ethernet control over the projectors in the building, so in the chapel I could AV mute the picture when it wasn't needed.

And I ran this whole thing by myself!! <--- Yes I am a bit crazy!!

Here is my setup from a far:
2014-03-16 19.59.31.jpg
(1.54 MiB) Downloaded 1247 times
Here is a close up of the monitors running the system (notice there are 2 monitors on that little table with a Macbook, a mixer and an EJ-8):
2014-03-23 11.03.15.jpg
(1.11 MiB) Downloaded 1247 times
Here is pictures showing the placement of everything in the AV closet:
2014-03-23 11.03.24.jpg
(1.22 MiB) Downloaded 1247 times
2014-03-23 11.03.29.jpg
(1.69 MiB) Downloaded 1247 times
rl_albright

Re: New tech in for stake conference

Post by rl_albright »

And the video to the projectors was done via VGA so the picture was crystal clear. I have even more plans of how to setup stuff for the next stake conference, but now it is time for some sleep as I don't think I slept very much this last weekend.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

rl_albright wrote:We upgraded all of the modulators to digital equipment, ran new lines in the building (old wiring was RG-59, upgraded to RG-6QS Plenum), added ability to have a DVD or other source played by default over the 70V overhead system, mounted a projector to the ceiling of the cultural hall (with a removable pole and dedicated power), 2 PTZ cameras with RS-232 control and many more things.
Quite ambitious. I hope you worked with FM on all of this. After all, it's their equipment rack and their building.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Wow! You could broadcast a General Conference from your building... :)
rl_albright

Post by rl_albright »

russellhltn wrote:
rl_albright wrote:We upgraded all of the modulators to digital equipment, ran new lines in the building (old wiring was RG-59, upgraded to RG-6QS Plenum), added ability to have a DVD or other source played by default over the 70V overhead system, mounted a projector to the ceiling of the cultural hall (with a removable pole and dedicated power), 2 PTZ cameras with RS-232 control and many more things.
Quite ambitious. I hope you worked with FM on all of this. After all, it's their equipment rack and their building.
Yep, the FM group was kept in the loop across the whole process, and they even paid for a considerable portion of the upgrades. I have an awesome FM group here, and would trade them for anything.
rl_albright

Post by rl_albright »

sbradshaw wrote:Wow! You could broadcast a General Conference from your building... :)
That is what a lot of people were thinking while they were watching the conference. They loved it. Now to see about upgrading to a bigger room. (We have an obscure storage room that is above one of the classrooms on the stage, that is accessible by a pull down ladder) If I can do this, it would make it even better, as more than one person could be running the show, which frankly when that much is going on, it is needed. And then I could train others on how to do what I did.

But above all, that was a lot of fun.
rl_albright

Post by rl_albright »

Well, the stake president of my stake wanted me to add ASL for the satellite in the stake center (as the deaf unit for an 11 stake region now meets in that building). I told him that yes that could be done, but we would need to move all of this equipment into a different room, I showed him the obscure storage room above the stage (accessible by drop-down ladder), and he has given me the go ahead. I then spoke to my FM group, and they gave me the go-ahead. I will post pics when I am done with everything. But this is going to be FUN!! <-- and that is not sarcastic.

Now to get to work on this new project.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

That's unusual. I would have had the FM group move the cabinet.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
rl_albright

Post by rl_albright »

russellhltn wrote:That's unusual. I would have had the FM group move the cabinet.
Well normally you would have the FM Group do that work, but my FM group manager (who is very cool) and I agreed to make sure that everything works as needed, that I would manage this project of moving the equipment to the new area. I have thus far gotten a new full size server cabinet installed, a 6 ft custom built workbench, and electrical work done (the electrical was handled by the FM group). I will post pictures when it gets further along.
bballrob

Post by bballrob »

rl_albright wrote:
russellhltn wrote:
Yep, the FM group was kept in the loop across the whole process, and they even paid for a considerable portion of the upgrades. I have an awesome FM group here, and would trade them for anything.
Fantastic!! I'll send you an old, dead, 19" TV from the 80s. Cart not included.

Send us your FM Group personnel in return please!

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”