Using MAC's for broadcasting Stake Conference

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Re: Using MAC's for broadcasting Stake Conference

Post by Mikerowaved »

jyepatton wrote:Just wondering if anyone is using Mac's to broadcast Stake Conference's? We had problems with lags and hangs using windows laptops and windows pc's. Wondering if there is a better solution with a Mac?
The current version of the church's Meetinghouse Webcast software only supports Windows-based OS's. The whole process is under review and new ways of webcasting are being analyzed. It's going to take a while, so don't count on anything this year, or maybe even next, but eventually we will get a new generation of webcast software tools to use, and it's not outside the realm of possibilities that Mac compatibility might even sneak through. :)
jyepatton wrote:We have 3 camera's in our stake center, so we'd need an app for the Mac that can support multiple cameras. Would love some suggestions. Thx
Most people do video mixing via hardware. Used 480i mixers are available fairly reasonable from places like eBay. There are some excellent applications out there that can mix video quite well on either a Windows or iOS platform. One that I've played with is Wirecast. It's a bit steep in price ($495 retail), but for working in HD, it's about 1/2 the cost of a hardware mixer, and IMO, much more flexible.

If it were me, I wouldn't encourage my stake president to make any heavy investments in webcasting technology right now. I'd give it a year or two and let the development team work out their next-generation solution first.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Mikerowaved wrote:If it were me, I wouldn't encourage my stake president to make any heavy investments in webcasting technology right now. I'd give it a year or two and let the development team work out their next-generation solution first.
What about the idea of renting equipment as needed? I'm thinking a typical stake might only use the equipment 3 times a year (2 conferences and 1 special fireside). After 2 years (6 uses), it's likely time for a technology refresh. Can they recover the cost of the equipment in 6 uses?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

russellhltn wrote:
Mikerowaved wrote:If it were me, I wouldn't encourage my stake president to make any heavy investments in webcasting technology right now. I'd give it a year or two and let the development team work out their next-generation solution first.
What about the idea of renting equipment as needed? I'm thinking a typical stake might only use the equipment 3 times a year (2 conferences and 1 special fireside). After 2 years (6 uses), it's likely time for a technology refresh. Can they recover the cost of the equipment in 6 uses?
We Rent our equipment and its been very successful for us - we found a friendly spot that isn't open on Sunday's and they don't charge us for that day... so it works out very well.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”