Redirecting a/v to building distribution

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
aclawson

Redirecting a/v to building distribution

Post by aclawson »

Has anybody been able to route an external signal onto the building's distribution system? We are going to be doing a large stake broadcast and while I have exactly zero problems putting the internet stream on to the projector at the front of the chapel, the people seated in the gym are going to have a hard time seeing the screen - normally they would view a satellite broadcast on TVs that are trolleyed out but that doesn't help much - unless I can get the internet stream to show up on one of the interior channels.

Has anybody been able to get this done?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Redirecting a/v to building distribution

Post by russellhltn »

It can be done - by re-wiring the satellite cabinet. Not something I like recommending, since that could leave something "interesting" for the next person.

First, you need to get the video into composite format. That's what the system runs on.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aclawson

Post by aclawson »

Per SLC satellite support:

1. Get a device that will convert VGA output to RCA. Monoprice sell item # 4724 for $22.99 that would fit the bill nicely.

2. Get an RCA / F-type adapter.

3. Connect the laptop to the modulator in the building and push your signal out to all of the rooms.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

aclawson wrote:3. Connect the laptop to the modulator in the building and push your signal out to all of the rooms.
For this, the FM folks have given us an RCA video input jack on one side of the chapel's overflow area. (You might want to look for one in your building.) This feeds directly back to the modulator in the satellite cabinet and pops out on a different TV channel than the regular satellite feed. (Channel 3 vs 6, or something like that.) The problem is, the audio input jacks are located a bit further back in the gym, so depending on where we setup our receiving PC, either the audio or video wires will need to stretch to the other jack.

I'm not aware of a video input jack (either Type-F or RCA) near the satellite cabinet. Maybe I need some enlightening. I know the cabinet can be rewired to accommodate the broadcast, then put back the way it was, but I also know from experience, the less I tinker in that cabinet, the happier my FMG is. :)
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
SheffieldTR
Community Moderators

Post by SheffieldTR »

This last option would be simple if you can, or already have, run a network cable to the overflow. I happen to have one there and so you can simply feed the building from that location without having to do any rewiring in the cabinet, which is a big plus. Long term talking with the FM to get an A-B switch in the cabinet so that you can simply choose satellite or camera input would be a nice solution that will also help with stake conference.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Mikerowaved wrote:The problem is, the audio input jacks are located a bit further back in the gym, so depending on where we setup our receiving PC, either the audio or video wires will need to stretch to the other jack.
If they're "further back in the gym", then it's likely feeding the gym system - which is disabled when the won doors are open. You'd need to run a line to feed the chapel system. But the closest input is likely to be the podium.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

harddrive

Post by harddrive »

This thread is right up my alley, I just wished that I saw it in my email letting me know that it was here.

However, you can do this. Let me tell you what I did in my stake to make webcasting much easier for everyone.

I am using the Clerk computers as the receivers for webcasting. I then take the VGA out and as aclawson said, to a VGA to RGA converter. I then take the audio out of the computer. I then connect them to a RCA balun like this http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/M ... 0-/50-7730.

I then ran a cat 5e cable from the clerk's office to the satellite cabinet. At the other end was another balun. I then had our satellite install a switch which would allow me to have the satellite and computer to be piped into the satellite system and into the modulator for the closed circuit TV system. This way we didn't have to have personal laptops, the crab or anything else like that and we can set up TV's in any part of the building that had a coax drop.

We used this set up for the last stake conference and it worked well, except that I had to remove everyone from wireless to maintain good performance. For our next stake conference we are looking to improve the stake center (source) so that it will be a better broadcast.

The above work takes time, but I look at it this way. It is now finished and I will be able to train anyone to do it and not have to worry about other items.

Hope this helps and if you want to discuss more, please let me know.
aclawson

Post by aclawson »

Do you have the specs/part number for the switch that was installed in the satellite box?

And for that matter, do you have the specs on the satellite modulators? That could come in handy.
harddrive

Post by harddrive »

Aclawson, sorry that it has taken a few days to get back to you on this, but I totally forgot.

I don't have the specs or the part number for the switch, but if you look on line, you will find audio/video switchers that will take 3 RCA devices in and output to one.

Now the satellite receiver that we use uses RCA connections on the back. The modulators that we are using are the Pico Macom PCM55saw, I believe. they have a coax connection in the back for audio and video. So what our satellite expert did was to install coax to RCA connectors to make the connections like this: http://www.superwarehouse.com/p.cfm?p=1 ... 7AodmGgAuw

It works great.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”