Approved HD hardware & software?

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Approved HD hardware & software?

Post by russellhltn »

In analog, SD has 480 horizontal scans to make the visible picture (480 visible out of 525). So the vertical resolution is fixed and can't be changed without breaking the standard.

The horizontal resolution (the ability to resolve vertical lines) is dependent on the quality and bandwidth of the equipment. Once digitized, this also becomes fixed with a maximum resolution.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

aeroengineer1 wrote:As for the zoom level, our stake president likes a view that is about 10' wide. He does not want us to be zoomed in. Part of this is because there is a height difference of about 1' between all the members of the stake presidency.
That strikes me as odd. Maybe as a different shot to provide relief from the standard head and shoulders, but that seems rather wide for a typical speaker shot.

Your mention of the height difference makes me think that you're having problems with a smooth tilt function. IOW, the desire for a wide zoom is to compensate for a deficiency in the camera handling. The ability to do a smooth pan, tilt and zoom, especially at slow speeds would be a priority for me regardless of the resolution. I'd suggest watching a conference talk and paying attention to what the camera does.

If this was my Stake President, I'd talk to him to find out why he wants such a wide shot. I think there's more to this then is being communicated. I've learned from experience that when I get an odd request, there's more to it then is being said. It may be the person simply doesn't know how to express the problem, or thinks that what he's offering is a cheaper solution when it is not.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Aeroengineer1

Post by Aeroengineer1 »

This angle/view was requested after receiving feedback from both the receiving buildings as well as the stake president looking at a few different zoom and angles to determine which was preferable. As to the zoom and pan, we only have the handheld remote for the operation of the camera. With the console, it would be better, but we can get all of these features in an IP camera for almost the same cost as the console.
michaelfish

Post by michaelfish »

I am hopeful that we will get a more functional program with options for IP cams

Note: IP cameras induce latency (delay) in the video due to processing of the signal. The amount of delay in IP cameras can be from a few milliseconds to several seconds.

At any rate, displaying a live feed in the cultural hall from an IP camera feed will result in the video being out of sync with the live audio from the overhead speakers. The amount of latency in any system depends on many factors (even IP camera's latencies vary) and each processing device in the system adds delay (A-D converters, TBC's, SEG's, capture cards, compression hardware/software, etc.).

Broadcasting to other buildings is okay since electronic delay devices can be employed to match audio and video before being sent out (e.g. Behringer SRC-2496).
Aeroengineer1

Post by Aeroengineer1 »

Very true about the IP cams, though from my what I can see, much of that delay is in the bandwidth of the network that it is operating on. If the router/network can handle the bandwidth, then the delay will be greatly reduced. The other processes are inherent of the general conversion from analog data to digital data. As we move away from analog cameras, this process is happening on the camera in place of the video capture device.

It is a good thing to mention though for those that may want to evaluate the IP cams. Thanks for mentioning it.

Adam

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”