Projector mounting

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
johnshaw

Re: Projector mounting

Post by johnshaw »

mlh78 wrote:For what its worth, we had the FM group buy a screen for our high council room and had their approval to wire and install a projector in that room. Then they got instructions from the Presiding Bishopric to hold all projector installations until further notice. If you have been paying attention over the last year or two, it is clear that the church is moving to a media-intensive approach towards instruction and training. My guess is that our leaders are suspending installations until they can figure out best practices and a uniform approach. After that, I bet we see guidelines on installations and increased AV resources.
Problem is SP want it now, increased AV resources will only apply to NEW construction and retro-fitting all other buildings will be as they naturally turn over in the inventory process. TV's are currently slated with a 14 year life-cycle. I think we're in a tight spot at this point.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
rogerscr

Post by rogerscr »

But what does mounting a projector save you? Pointing it and getting it in focus? Adjusting the keystone maybe? These are things most users can do if they can connect a computer or DVD player to a projector. I won't argue getting more projectors, I know most Stakes around here have at least 2. I just don't see the need to mount a projector because the 'SP want it now'. The benefits of mounting it are just not that big.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

Mounting a projector would save me a great deal of time, every Stake, regional or scout meeting held in our meetinghouse these days needs a projector. (I say needs very loosely) and the time I've spent away from my family unlocking a cabinet to make a projector available is just not worth it. Unless we give the keys to everyone, but that guarantees the projector will eventually go missing.

I'd rather have flat panel's mounted in HC, RS, and Primary... seems a simple, elegant solution, leave the projecting for larger gatherings in the chapel that will require projector-size. Also freeing up the lcd's in the library for SS/YM/YW
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

JohnShaw wrote:I'd rather have flat panel's mounted in HC, RS, and Primary... seems a simple, elegant solution, leave the projecting for larger gatherings in the chapel that will require projector-size. Also freeing up the lcd's in the library for SS/YM/YW
Mounting flat panels that would only be used occasionally would be a waste of money. There is plenty of TVs in the media center to take care of most needs. And if you put the projector in the media center where it belongs then the librarians will provide the support when its needed.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

Any piece of equipment we use in our meetinghouses is used 'occasionally' I don't see how that comes into play.

The amount of equipment provided with every new meetinghouse that is unused or relatively never used is staggering. What is the scoreboard for in the Cultural Center, the lights for the stage, the volleyball net.

I can say that a TV is wheeled into a HC, RS, and Primary room, at least 2 or 3 times each Sunday, we have 3 wards and a stake sharing the meetinghouse. The future of leadership training, and the amount of video we have to consume is changing the way we NEED to use the rooms. Meetinghouse Material Centers are too small to house equipment, our buildings are shrinking, we're stuffing 3 and 4 wards in them before building more, with no storage options, I don't see any way to avoid mounting this stuff on walls. Walls in a meetinghouse are the most available resource we have in the church!
harddrive

Post by harddrive »

I have read this message and it sounds like a lot of stakes are way ahead of my stake. In most of my wards, they have flat panel displays and at least one projector. The chapel had a screen the drops down and in most of my buildings, I really can't mount the projector in the chapel from the ceiling.

I believe the issue is with the chapel portion of the building. We currently have a brick wall behind our speaker and when we broadcast stake conference, the lines on the way will actually change color and can be really distracting. What we did to solve it was to place a curtain behind the speaker. However, we would like to like dry wall the are or something like wood paneling up so that we soften the wall.

I have talked to my high councilor over the building and he also works for the church at the bishop's store house. He told me that any changes to the chapel portion of the building has to be approved by someone in Salt Lake. I believe the presiding bishopric or the people who manages the buildings. I believe this would go for mounting projectors in the chapels as well. This is a fundamental change in the way the chapel is designed and function. I would love to be able to mount two projectors in my stake center chapel because we want to get to the point of doing multi-building broadcast and the second projector would be for those sitting on the stand to be able to see who is talking.

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”