Projector mounting

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
TinMan

Re: Projector mounting

Post by TinMan »

aclawson wrote:We have a scissor lift available.
Lucky you. We too have a scissor lift, but it won't go over the center row of benches, but only works on the isles. We have to set up scaffolding to service those lights over the center pews.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

russellhltn wrote:
mfmohlma wrote:I guess I'll just say it: at least in some places I've been, if a projector were permanently mounted it would only be a matter of time before someone tried to use the projector during a sacrament meeting talk...
Or want to show something not "chapel worthy" in there.
That makes no sense to me. You can control access to the remote control just like you can control access to a free-standing projector. The issues are exactly the same. I can't see how that is an issue in the slightest.

I'm confident it is a matter of cost, appearance, and maintenance.
TinMan

Post by TinMan »

aebrown wrote: That makes no sense to me.
It makes a little bit of sense to me. If you had one projector and it was mounted in the chapel, there would be pressure to allow things not normally shown in the chapel. For example, if the cub scouts wanted to show pictures or videos of their annual cub country trip in a pack meeting, the only place they could show it is in the chapel, when perhaps you would normally show it in whatever room they usually have pack meeting in. Okay. So that is marginal.

But what if the YW want to have a "movie night" for their activity. "Well the cub scouts got to use it, why can't we?"

I can see potential difficulties with one projector in the chapel...
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

TinMan wrote:I can see potential difficulties with one projector in the chapel...
I'll agree with that. But I'm not talking about "one projector." I was responding to aclawson's scenario, where he clearly stated that they had two projectors.

I certainly don't think it makes sense to mount your only projector, but where you have two, and one of them is primarily used in the chapel, it could be very helpful, and should not have the concerns that some have raised about inappropriate material being shown there.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

Several years ago when the Marriage and Family Relations classes were starting up, my stake presidency called three couples to teach the classes, and purchased three projectors for them. Since his stake clerk at the time was an FM employee, I assume this was done with permission of the FM.

When our stake center was built in 2003, we had one older projector, and the FM provided a second projector, since the stake center has two motorized screens. Since then, both members of the stake council as well as ward leaders have asked to borrow a projector for a lesson or fireside or whatever in another meetinghouse, and the stake presidency has allowed them to do that over my objections as the STS.

A couple years ago, the stake presidency just told all the wards to get their own projector. I believe the FM agreed that every meetinghouse in our stake should have at least one projector. I am not sure who paid for them. That usually depends on whether the stake/ward have given the FM enough lead time to program the money for next year's budget. All too often, they want it NOW, and are willing to pay for it NOW.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
wiscombe.peter

Post by wiscombe.peter »

The issue in our building is that there is no good location to place the projector. The motorized screen comes down behind the choir seats, but it is a fairly small screen. If the projector is placed on a stand in the pews, the projected image is too large to fit on this (small) screen. If it is placed to either side of the pulpit, the image is skewed to the point of distraction, and if it is placed several feet behind the pulpit you have the double issue of the projected image being too small, plus the vertical angle of the projector is then so great that no amount of "keystoning" will correct it.

So we are forced to place the projector either on the pulpit itself (also an issue since the pulpit slants downward, and we are trying to project upwards) or on a stand immediately behind the pulpit. In both of these cases, the pulpit is rendered unusable. This isn't so much of an issue during straight broadcasts (like general conference) but if we are having any other meetings, we have to have an additional microphone set up beside the pulpit to use for opening prayers, speakers, etc.

The best location would probably be a ceiling mount, but as stated above, that isn't considered a valid option.
TinMan

Post by TinMan »

wiscombes wrote:The issue in our building is that there is no good location to place the projector. The motorized screen comes down behind the choir seats, but it is a fairly small screen. If the projector is placed on a stand in the pews, the projected image is too large to fit on this (small) screen. If it is placed to either side of the pulpit, the image is skewed to the point of distraction, and if it is placed several feet behind the pulpit you have the double issue of the projected image being too small, plus the vertical angle of the projector is then so great that no amount of "keystoning" will correct it.

So we are forced to place the projector either on the pulpit itself (also an issue since the pulpit slants downward, and we are trying to project upwards) or on a stand immediately behind the pulpit. In both of these cases, the pulpit is rendered unusable. This isn't so much of an issue during straight broadcasts (like general conference) but if we are having any other meetings, we have to have an additional microphone set up beside the pulpit to use for opening prayers, speakers, etc.

The best location would probably be a ceiling mount, but as stated above, that isn't considered a valid option.
TinMan

Post by TinMan »

A while ago, we had someone build a box with the bottom slanted to match the pulpit slant. It had a slot that went around the microphone. The box sat on the pulpit and made a flat surface for the projector. Or, come to think of it, the top of the box had a bit of an upward slant.

We since got a tall stand with removable, telescoping legs that sits on the floor and projects over the pulpit.
mlh78

Post by mlh78 »

For what its worth, we had the FM group buy a screen for our high council room and had their approval to wire and install a projector in that room. Then they got instructions from the Presiding Bishopric to hold all projector installations until further notice. If you have been paying attention over the last year or two, it is clear that the church is moving to a media-intensive approach towards instruction and training. My guess is that our leaders are suspending installations until they can figure out best practices and a uniform approach. After that, I bet we see guidelines on installations and increased AV resources.
rogerscr

Post by rogerscr »

Lets hope that mlh78 is correct and that they are working on something. There was a similar hold on Sling boxes and high speed internet before that started rolling into buildings as well.

Having priced the cables etc to install a projector, the cost of the install with all the cables can easily exceed the cost of the projector itself. If you were to install a projector what resolution would give you the longest life? Halogen or LED or LED/Laser hybrid for the light. Do you run Composite and VGA... or do you have to add HDMI and maybe even DisplayPort? Then there is the electrician who has to run the power. This all adds up and with the continual changing of video standards I agree, if they have a hold we should respect it. This is after all the Lords money, whether it comes from FM or the Stake. Lets spend it wisely.

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”