Projector mounting

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
TinMan

Re: Projector mounting

Post by TinMan »

aebrown wrote: At least in our stake, the projectors have never had a connection to the meetinghouse media center, and we've never received any counsel from the FM group along those lines.
So that means in your stake, you can go ahead and use budget allowance to purchase as many projectors as you want? That is so interesting. We are like the poster that said we can only have one because we have a satellite connection. We are in the "old stake house" so there was some discussion if even then we would be allowed to have one. But when we pointed out that we needed both the old and the new stake house to house everyone for General Priesthood, they let us have one.

I know the other buildings in the Stake would love to have a projector. If the Stake is allowed to purchase them, we will move forward and not tell the FM group. :)
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

TinMan wrote:
aebrown wrote: At least in our stake, the projectors have never had a connection to the meetinghouse media center, and we've never received any counsel from the FM group along those lines.
So that means in your stake, you can go ahead and use budget allowance to purchase as many projectors as you want?
It was just a theoretical discussion -- we've never purchased a projector, and I doubt that the stake president would choose to use budget allowance funds that way.
TinMan

Post by TinMan »

Dang.

I could have said, "Well there is this stake in Sandy... "

:)
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

TinMan wrote:We are like the poster that said we can only have one because we have a satellite connection.
This may be another one of those "this FM manager says this ... and this other FM manager over here says something else...". In my previous stake, we moved into a new meeting house in November 2011. It was furnished with a projector, yet it has no satellite connection. The projector was supplied by FM and not purchased by the stake. So the question arises, is the requirement to have a satellite connection an old requirement that has since changed to accommodate webcast reception? I am guessing it has.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
mfmohlma

Post by mfmohlma »

aclawson wrote:Does anybody know why there is such a strong prohibition against mounting projectors on the ceiling in meetinghouses?
I have my suspicions it is not a technical issue at all (at least for the chapel). Think about it. (I had something else typed here, but deleted it for fear of seeming "inappropriate".)
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

jdlessley wrote:So the question arises, is the requirement to have a satellite connection an old requirement that has since changed to accommodate webcast reception?
I think that at one time the requirement was to have a satellite system which has since change, but I do not think the reason for the change is to accommodate web-casting as much as its to accommodate the new curriculum programs. That would be why the projector is to be placed in the media center.
TinMan

Post by TinMan »

mfmohlma wrote:I have my suspicions it is not a technical issue at all (at least for the chapel). Think about it. (I had something else typed here, but deleted it for fear of seeming "inappropriate".)
I have no idea. But my guess is it is some combination of cost (to install and/or to have a second "roving" projector for the building,) liability to install, and maintenance.

Setting up scaffolding in our chapel to service the lights is a pain.
aclawson

Post by aclawson »

TinMan wrote:Setting up scaffolding in our chapel to service the lights is a pain.
We have a scissor lift available.
mfmohlma

Post by mfmohlma »

TinMan wrote:
mfmohlma wrote:I have my suspicions it is not a technical issue at all (at least for the chapel). Think about it. (I had something else typed here, but deleted it for fear of seeming "inappropriate".)
I have no idea.
I guess I'll just say it: at least in some places I've been, if a projector were permanently mounted it would only be a matter of time before someone tried to use the projector during a sacrament meeting talk...
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

mfmohlma wrote:I guess I'll just say it: at least in some places I've been, if a projector were permanently mounted it would only be a matter of time before someone tried to use the projector during a sacrament meeting talk...
Or want to show something not "chapel worthy" in there.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”