Projector mounting

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
Gary_Miller

Re: Projector mounting

Post by Gary_Miller »

aebrown wrote:
Gary_Miller wrote:Projectors are considered media equipment that fall under the authorization for equipment in the meeting house media center, just like televisions.
What's your source for that declaration?
From the list of materials for meeting house libraries.

Meetinghouse Library Materials
https://www.lds.org/callings/sunday-sch ... s?lang=eng

The equipment and furnishings listed below are also approved for the meetinghouse library. See your facilities management representative for information about these and other items.

EQUIPMENT AND FURNISHINGS
Quantity Item
1 Electronic keyboard
20 Chalk and eraser sets
2 Dry-erase markers and eraser sets
1 Closed-captioned decoder, if needed
1 Copier/Printer
1 Kick step-stool, if needed
1 Supplies (pencils, red pencils, pencil sharpeners, stapler, staples, tape, tape dispensers, etc.)
1 Camera, video, portable, 1 per stake center
1 Cart, for 32” flat-screen TV, 1 per building with 130-capacity or less
1 Cart, for 47” flat-screen TV, 1 per building with 170+ capacity
1 Cassette recorder and CD player combo, 1 per building
1 DVD recorder, for buildings equipped with satellite
1 Projector, LCD, 1 per motorized screen or 1 per building with 130-capacity or less
1 Screen, portable, 1 per building
1 Stand, projector, 1 per LCD projector
1 TV/DVD combo player, 1 per unit
1 TV, 26” flat screen w/USB port, 1 per unit
1 TV, 32” flat screen, 1 per building with 130-capacity or less
1 TV, 47” flat screen, 1 per building with 170-capacity and above
1 Tripod, camera, 1 per stake center
1 VCR/DVD combo player, 1 per building
1 Wireless microphone kit, 1 per stake center
aclawson

Post by aclawson »

Do you have anything saying that a stake president can't authorize the purchase of an additional projector? This list only states what FM is required to buy.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Gary_Miller wrote: 1 Projector, LCD, 1 per motorized screen or 1 per building with 130-capacity or less
"Or less"? I wonder what the policy is for motorized screens?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

aclawson wrote:Do you have anything saying that a stake president can't authorize the purchase of an additional projector?
See guidelines in Handbook 1 for LUBA Expenses, pay particular attention to what the expenses are not authorized. I think its the last paragraph in the section.
aclawson

Post by aclawson »

Ah. As an STS I have no convenient access to handbook 1.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

russellhltn wrote:
Gary_Miller wrote: 1 Projector, LCD, 1 per motorized screen or 1 per building with 130-capacity or less
"Or less"? I wonder what the policy is for motorized screens?
I know that when our stake center acquired our second motorized screen, the FM group simultaneously delivered a second projector. So that experience seems to fit that particular line of the guidelines.

That is somewhat ambiguous wording. It seems clear that you get 1 projector per motorized screen. It seems somewhat clear that you get 1 per building, but I don't know what the "130-capacity or less" qualifier means. It could mean that you get 1 per building if your building has a capacity of 130 or less, but that leaves open the question of what the guideline is for buildings with a capacity greater than 130. Or does the "or less" phrase mean that you might get less than 1 projector in some situations (which are not specified). It's not clear.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

aebrown wrote:Or does the "or less" phrase mean that you might get less than 1 projector in some situations (which are not specified). It's not clear.
That interpretation doesn't make a whole lot of sense. My guess is that small buildings don't get motorized screens, but they are to get a projector for use with conventional floor-standing or wall-mount screen.

But yes, that does leave the question open for larger buildings.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aclawson

Post by aclawson »

aebrown wrote:I know that when our stake center acquired our second motorized screen, the FM group simultaneously delivered a second projector.
We have two motorized screens and two projectors (only one of which was made after the discovery of electricity though), so mounting one to the ceiling would make perfect sense in our case, leaving a 2nd projector available to be used anywhere in the building.

Sometimes I wish that we could feel like we're on the same team.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Gary_Miller wrote:
aclawson wrote:Do you have anything saying that a stake president can't authorize the purchase of an additional projector?
See guidelines in Handbook 1 for LUBA Expenses, pay particular attention to what the expenses are not authorized. I think its the last paragraph in the section.
I believe that this reference is to HB 1, Section 14.7.2, last paragraph. But it says nothing about projectors, or even any category that could possibly include projectors, as I read it. So decisions about projectors would simply be subject to the general policies, and not any particular restriction.

However, before we get into any debate on that particular point, I would remind everyone that the handbooks are available to bishops and stake presidents, who have the responsibility to be aware of the principles, policies, and guidelines contained therein, and to exercise their priesthood keys for their particular area of stewardship to make specific decisions.
aclawson

Post by aclawson »

lajackson wrote:Another disadvantage is that it is much harder to thump the projector during broadcasts to get it going again. And we have to clean our projector filter once or twice each general conference weekend, too.
FM pointed out that the church mounts projectors on ceilings all the time - in fact the ONLY buildings not allowed to use them are meetinghouses.

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”