Streaming for Shut-ins

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
KeithWilson

Streaming for Shut-ins

Post by KeithWilson »

Is there an official policy on streaming meetings for shut-ins? Obviously the ordinance of the sacrament can't be streamed, and in the old days, sacrament meeting used to be recorded for the shut-ins, but with web streaming, is recording really necessary?

Any "official word" on this?

Thanks.
gregwanderson

Re: Streaming for Shut-ins

Post by gregwanderson »

I don't have the answer to your question. If you tried it, my understanding is that the church's webcast system limits the number that can receive the stream. So if you have a lot of shut-ins the system can't reach them all. Am I correct?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Handbook 2: 21.2.10: "Meetings and other events that are held in the chapel may not be broadcast over the Internet or by any other means (see 18.3.1 for an exception)." 18.3.1 is the section on Stake Conference.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aclawson

Post by aclawson »

Sad to see them regress in this policy. My grandmother used to listen to/watch an online sacrament meeting somehow. I don't know the details as this was in the 80s and she lived in SLC.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

aclawson wrote:Sad to see them regress in this policy. My grandmother used to listen to/watch an online sacrament meeting somehow. I don't know the details as this was in the 80s and she lived in SLC.
The Church runs a Worship Service on the BYUTV PBS channel and it is online. I know my father, for years, while not actively participating would watch each week. That was his church during his 'break' :)
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
aclawson

Post by aclawson »

That must have been what she was watching. It also means that there isn't really a need to stream the local meeting.
gregwanderson

Post by gregwanderson »

Since Stake Conference can be streamed, I thought it would be nice to give the streaming URL to shut-ins, but then I read where there was a limit on how many connections could be made available to receive it.
ksolsen
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by ksolsen »

It's unlikely that you'll run into the limit on receiving sites for webcast streams (over 200). So, unless you have a very high number of shut-ins, you should be fine allowing them to watch stake conference.

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”