Webcast Setup Pictures

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
sammythesm

Webcast Setup Pictures

Post by sammythesm »

I've been trying to remember to take photos of my webcasting setup. Yesterday was my 3rd webcasting event, and I remembered to snap a few photos before the system got taken down.

I captioned each picture with some details. Feel free to comment there or here and I'll respond.

Link to picasa album.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Nice setup. Too bad you can't use chroma key or some kind of mixing to get the conductor and the text both on the screen full-sized.

Not sure what mic setup you are using on the choir. I found this guide. I'd probably lean toward the coincident-pair because it's mono-friendly. Either that or spaced-pair to better cover the width of the choir loft with the limited spacing you have.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
ksolsen
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by ksolsen »

Very nice! I'm impressed. Great setup.
Kurt Olsen - Product Manager at Church HQ for Digital Presentation (Personal Video Conferencing, Meetinghouse Webcast, Conference Rooms, Video Conference Endpoints, Meetinghouse Digital Content)
sammythesm

Post by sammythesm »

Thanks, Kurt. And thanks Russell for the link on mic setup. I will tweak them next time and see if it makes any difference.

I feel like I have a great system and am very blessed to have supportive leaders. They told me they have no plans to ever go back to the old way - they used to have to do 3 sessions for Stake Conference, which made for a long, awful day for them and any visiting authority.

My long-term plan is to work to upgrade pieces little by little over the next couple years and work up to a HD webcast. We have the bandwidth, but just need the components. This is my list of upgrades/to dos:

1. Upgrade webcast computer. Right now the dell 740 (former clerk computer) runs at 100% cpu for the whole webcast. it's gotta be upgraded. I'm looking at rackmount solutions that I can put in our video rack to save counter space. Something out of this site, maybe? The idea would be to get a machine that will have enough horsepower to transcode HD video at some future time.

2. Upgrade video mixer. Need something that will handle HD video inputs for my 3 cameras and computer. Would be cool to get something with chroma key so we can do nicer titling. This is going to be the most challenging as I have yet to find a reasonably priced option.

3. Upgrade cameras. I got a great deal on my Sony D70s - $300 a piece. My dream cameras are the Cisco/Tandberg Precision HD cameras. I've seen them in action and they are whisper quiet, have awesome optics, and support HDMI and HD-SDI. They're also prohibitively expensive, so I'll need to wait for prices to drop or find a screamin' deal.

Kurt (or anyone else), if you have any of these components laying around you want to send to me for "testing" - I'd be happy to have them. ;)

Besides this, my leadership has challenged me to make the system a little more "built-in" such that it doesn't take so much effort each time to fire it up. We are close to this, but I am going to need to work with FM group to modify the closet so there is a permanent desk in there for webcasting before we can get much further.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

For #2, you might consider renting a higher end switch - We found a place that isn't open on Sunday's so we get a 1 day rental on the unit and have it for 2 full days. $100 2 times a year... since this switch is around 3K - I feel like that is reasonable for our stake. Maybe have some stakes get together and put in for a nice one. Just a thought.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”