Brigham City Temple Dedication

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

Was it just me or did the 3rd session start 5 mins early?

The only issue I had was the volume -- it didn't seem like they normalized it very well. The worst part was the the congregational singing though; when everyone was singing we couldn't hear the broadcast and got out of sync, so I went up to the rostrum and turned it up. I'm going to rig up a way to insert a mixer into the satellite signal as well so I can adjust it without going up to the rostrum.
Craig
South Jordan, UT
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

craiggsmith wrote:Was it just me or did the 3rd session start 5 mins early?

No, it really did start about 5 minutes early. We were all supposed to be in our seats well before that, but it's a bit disconcerting for the technical folks to start that early!
craiggsmith wrote:The only issue I had was the volume -- it didn't seem like they normalized it very well. The worst part was the the congregational singing though; when everyone was singing we couldn't hear the broadcast and got out of sync, so I went up to the rostrum and turned it up. I'm going to rig up a way to insert a mixer into the satellite signal as well so I can adjust it without going up to the rostrum.
I noticed the volume issue, too. If the picture hadn't been focused on the conductor so that we could follow his beat as the congregation sang, we would have been very much out of sync with the choir singing onsite. I also thought that the lighting onsite was rather poor and so many of the speakers had dark shadows on one side of their face. I'm sure it's a challenge in those cramped spaces to get lighting and microphones perfectly balanced, but it seems that previous temple dedication broadcasts worked a bit more smoothly.

But I don't think any of those problems were so severe that they distracted significantly from a spiritual service.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

aebrown wrote:No, it really did start about 5 minutes early. We were all supposed to be in our seats well before that, but it's a bit disconcerting for the technical folks to start that early!

I noticed the volume issue, too. If the picture hadn't been focused on the conductor so that we could follow his beat as the congregation sang, we would have been very much out of sync with the choir singing onsite. I also thought that the lighting onsite was rather poor and so many of the speakers had dark shadows on one side of their face. I'm sure it's a challenge in those cramped spaces to get lighting and microphones perfectly balanced, but it seems that previous temple dedication broadcasts worked a bit more smoothly.

But I don't think any of those problems were so severe that they distracted significantly from a spiritual service.
Yes, more disconcerting than anything. Timing was more of a problem at the worldwide training that I had to record the night before to show at another building when they went over 5 minutes, and I had only set it to record for 2 hours.

For the second session I stayed up in the alcove where the satellite volume is for the first few items to get the volume right. I turned it up for the choir but then one of the speakers was too loud so I turned it down, and so forth for the first 10 minutes or so. But I managed to get a happy medium and didn't have to touch it the rest of the time except for the final songs. Although I wasn't sure what volume to put the Hosanna Anthem at; some parts were majestic and some more reverent.

Did they change the choir mics for the later sessions? I noticed recording mics on the wall behind the choir later, but I didn't notice them in the first session and I thought I had seen a handheld mic on a stand in front then. I thought the 2nd and 3rd choirs sounded better than the 1st, but it could have been something else.

At any rate, no, nothing detracted from the spirit and I was glad I had to stay for all 3 sessions!
Craig
South Jordan, UT

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”