Help with webcast issues

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Mikerowaved wrote:While a hardware mixer would indeed be the best route, how hard would it be for the webcast software to have an active audio level control without having to go into the SETTINGS menu? How about right next to the video preview screen where the audio VU bars are visible? A person could then tweak the setting as needed when the choir performs and put it back when the pulpit is used. Just a suggestion.

I'll take it one further - how about audio "presets" with a smooth transition between them? That way you can hit a button to transition to the "choir" setting and another to go back to "speaker". Maybe even allow a single button to change cameras and audio level at the same time. That would really help with the workload in handing the transition.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Aczlan

Post by Aczlan »

bregar wrote:This is a good point about the testing. I did the test running the satellite feed from BYU tv. As for a live feed I'm going to be hard pressed to try a live test of an actual meeting. I will have to test with me reading at the pulpit. Thank you for your reply!
I like to set a TV behind the pulpit and put on a video from the library. That gives me full-motion video and audio to test with.
Mikerowaved wrote:While a hardware mixer would indeed be the best route, how hard would it be for the webcast software to have an active audio level control without having to go into the SETTINGS menu? How about right next to the video preview screen where the audio VU bars are visible? A person could then tweak the setting as needed when the choir performs and put it back when the pulpit is used. Just a suggestion.
+1
That would be really nice to have available.

Aaron Z
Aczlan

Post by Aczlan »

JohnShaw wrote:Just a quick note, I bought a $30 line-level at Radio Shack, it was fairly easy to implement, you might want to pick up a ground-loop isolater from there as well, I found that my real issue that I purchased the line-level for was a ground-loop problem.
Any chance you could post the PN for that? One of those would be just the ticket for what I need to do in our building, but I dont see it on their (useless) website.

Aaron Z
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

4-Channel Stereo Microphone Mixer
Catalog # 32-2056

I don't see it on the website, but RadioShack has carried this thing for years, you might need to drop by and ask.

Here's the Ground Loop Isolator
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

JohnShaw wrote:4-Channel Stereo Microphone Mixer
Catalog # 32-2056

I don't see it on the website, but RadioShack has carried this thing for years, you might need to drop by and ask.
Found the manual for it. Odds are it may struggle with the hot line level outputs as well.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Aczlan

Post by Aczlan »

JohnShaw wrote:4-Channel Stereo Microphone Mixer
Catalog # 32-2056
I (personally) have an ancient one of those. Was hoping for a single channel one volume control.

Thanks

Aaron Z
MerrillDL

Post by MerrillDL »

I am very sorry for the poor experience you had with your recent Webcast event.

Regarding 'over modulated' audio, I think the root of the problem is in two different components and definitions.

First; the building is wired using commercial/professional class equipment in the satellite cabinet. The audio modulator set at no gain (0db), is similar to a consumer grade piece of equipment the signal would be at +12 or +24db gain.

This is how it was explained to me and it makes sense but could also be completely inaccurate.

The other part is the use of the MIC input or Line IN input. If these aren't matched, you could end up with your computer's audio input defined as MIC level and the audio signal is actually Line Level. If you had a decibel meter, it would be pegged.

There are two solutions for this;
1) back off the gain on the Audio Modulator in the Satellite Cabinet
2) purchase a Macke 402 Audio Mixer. Actually these are available in the LDS Store and the FM might buy one for the stake. With a mixer upstream from the laptop, you can attenuate the audio to a more reasonable level.

Good luck in your next broadcast.

one more tip on the webcast. In addition to disconnecting the wifi, I recommend assigning a static IP Address to the laptop or desktop computer that is broadcasting the webcast. Do the same with the laptops that are at the receiving locations. Losing an IP Address lease effectively will be very similar to losing a signal.
sammythesm

Post by sammythesm »

MerrillDL wrote:one more tip on the webcast. In addition to disconnecting the wifi, I recommend assigning a static IP Address to the laptop or desktop computer that is broadcasting the webcast. Do the same with the laptops that are at the receiving locations. Losing an IP Address lease effectively will be very similar to losing a signal.
This isn't necessary in my opinion. As long as you have a live IP address, you will keep the IP address. It's not like someone can steal it from under you. It's only an hour after the computer/NIC is shut off that your IP address will be thrown back into the pool for someone else to use. Also, the new 881s have a larger pool of IPs available, so this shouldn't be an issue with those routers.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

MerrillDL wrote:There are two solutions for this;
1) back off the gain on the Audio Modulator in the Satellite Cabinet
I don't see how that would help unless the RF signal is over-modulated. Changing the Modulator will not change the line out of the system. It only affects receivers. Any receiver would have a line out with it's own "0VU" reference. If it's a consumer VCR, then it will be a consumer line-level.
MerrillDL wrote:This isn't necessary in my opinion. As long as you have a live IP address, you will keep the IP address. It's not like someone can steal it from under you. It's only an hour after the computer/NIC is shut off that your IP address will be thrown back into the pool for someone else to use. Also, the new 881s have a larger pool of IPs available, so this shouldn't be an issue with those routers.
If a reboot is necessary, the computer may release it's IP back into the pool. I think it's more important to shut down the wireless to prevent the bandwidth from being used up. Once that's done, I would doubt if there would be any risk of pool exhaustion.

bregar

Post by bregar »

Update

We are having issues with the sound system in the stake center. We had zones dropping out and some other issues. After conference I emailed our FM rep and copied the stake presidency. After a strong comment directed at the FM rep by the stake president about how the sound systems was and has been a major issue for the past year or so the FM rep is calling in the sound system contractor to replace most of the equipment in the rack.

The FM rep has also asked me to come in and do a webcast test to our units with the sound system contractor present. I couldnt ask for anymore divine help then this. I will update this post with the solution that is implemented.

Thank you for all of the comments and ideas. It's amazing how much one can feel the spirit here.

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”