Help with webcast issues

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

michaelfish wrote:I made that mistake once with the Webcast Communicator software and CHQ shut me down (UNAUTHORIZED message on the screen).

Shutdown the Webcast or the satellite feed?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
michaelfish

Post by michaelfish »

Shutdown the Webcast or the satellite feed?

The webcast was disabled. Satellite continued to work.

The software appeard to be working, with the exception of the message on the screen but attempts to remotely connect to the stream failed. Restarting the Webcast software (using the same event ID) resulted in the same message and inability to connect.

In order to start testing again, I had to create a new event ID.

I suspect they monitor new sessions and have the ability to disable the stream if something is broadcast which is not allowed (I realized I was rebroadcasting KBYU, which is in violation of broadcasting rules)
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

That seems labor intensive. It might be there's something in the signal, something like Macrovision in the VHS days that tipped off the server that you were streaming protected content.

Which raises an issue - could your stream be cut off if a "talk" includes a video segment from a protected source?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
michaelfish

Post by michaelfish »

I don't think so - an audio analog source (anything plugged into the microphone or line in jack) would not have triggered an alarm.

Interesting thought though considering the advancements in recognition technologies in recent years.

Using a TV station to test A/V provided me with a theoretically good test signal but it came back to haunt me since I was not actually testing the actual picture and sound from the chapel.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

michaelfish wrote:I don't think so - an audio analog source (anything plugged into the microphone or line in jack) would not have triggered an alarm.
Were you only using the audio? If you were using the video, then that can survive an analog connection.

michaelfish

Post by michaelfish »

Sorry to confuse the issue. The KBYU test was video and audio. I know the vertical interval in the TV signal can pass coded information (ie, closed captions), so that could have been what alerted for an unauthorized broadcast just like you suggested. I just imagined in my mind that there were 'video police' who were watching what I was doing.
bregar

Post by bregar »

michaelfish wrote:BTW - when testing, I found that KBYU should not be (re)broadcast over the Internet.

I made that mistake once with the Webcast Communicator software and CHQ shut me down (UNAUTHORIZED message on the screen).

Since then I've always used a talk or church music plugged in and played through the Stake center's audio system. Then set it to repeat so I can drive to the other buildings and test their locations.

Thanks for the information I won't do that again.
sammythesm

Post by sammythesm »

Perhaps your audio issue could be solved by putting a relatively inexpensive audio mixer between your audio source and the webcast computer.

Much of the feedback I have gotten was that certain audio was either 'too hot' or 'not hot enough' - especially when I switch from a speaker to the choir or special musical number. Apparently on the receiving side, there is a pretty narrow window where it is 'just right'. So I'm able to make quicker adjustments using an external audio mixer and use the LED audio level meters on the mixer to keep it in that narrow window of 'just right'.
ksolsen
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by ksolsen »

I agree with sammythesm's recommendation - always a good idea to have a mixer in the mix (ha!) on the broadcast side. We like the Mackie 402-VLZ3. It's listed on the webcast products recommendation page here, under the Audio section. Not terribly expensive, but a very solid little mixer.
Kurt Olsen - Product Manager at Church HQ for Digital Presentation (Personal Video Conferencing, Meetinghouse Webcast, Conference Rooms, Video Conference Endpoints, Meetinghouse Digital Content)
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

While a hardware mixer would indeed be the best route, how hard would it be for the webcast software to have an active audio level control without having to go into the SETTINGS menu? How about right next to the video preview screen where the audio VU bars are visible? A person could then tweak the setting as needed when the choir performs and put it back when the pulpit is used. Just a suggestion.

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”