Webcast Communicator vs PC and software

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

I think sales tax is likely the biggest single waste for our stake, my guess is that each unit could fund a computer from the wasted sales tax we pay. [wasted=budget money down the drain, not that tax is a waste to pay]
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Gary_Miller wrote:Do you know what general fund pays for webcasting computers? Does your Stake president know? Does your Area Authority know?
Yes, to all three questions.
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

lajackson wrote:Yes, to all three questions.
Would you care to share which fund that would be. If I had to guess it would be FMG funds.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Gary_Miller wrote:Would you care to share which fund that would be. If I had to guess it would be FMG funds.

According to current guidelines, that guess would not be correct, sorry.

The financing discussion in this thread closely parallels a similar discussion in another thread where a careful reading will provide the current setup for funding that the Church is using. There is no need to duplicate that discussion here.

This thread was originally intended to discuss the similarities and differences of using the Webcast Communicator versus a computer and software. I think that was take care of in the early posts of this thread.
brotherjjohnson

Laptop Recommendations

Post by brotherjjohnson »

All discussion aside on finances, has anyone identified a laptop that works very well with the Meetinghouse Webcast software?
michaelfish

Post by michaelfish »

A couple of years ago I purchased a Lenovo laptop (AMD Athlon II Dual-Core 2.10 GHz, 3 GB RAM, running 32-bit Windows 7) for $279 (Fry's Electronics).

The video and audio are captured with a Roxio USB Video Capture dongle.

Not only is it able to handle webcasting, I am even able to run PowerPoint (Office 2010) for superimposing of hymn lyrics at the same time (with Webcast software running in the background).

In addtion, I use this laptop weekly to capture and burn audio CDs of Sacrament meeting talks for those who are homebound in our ward.
Beryxil

Post by Beryxil »

michaelfish wrote:A couple of years ago I purchased a Lenovo laptop (AMD Athlon II Dual-Core 2.10 GHz, 3 GB RAM, running 32-bit Windows 7) for $279 (Fry's Electronics).

The video and audio are captured with a Roxio USB Video Capture dongle.

Not only is it able to handle webcasting, I am even able to run PowerPoint (Office 2010) for superimposing of hymn lyrics at the same time (with Webcast software running in the background).

In addtion, I use this laptop weekly to capture and burn audio CDs of Sacrament meeting talks for those who are homebound in our ward.
When using the laptop and Roxio dongle do you get out of sync issues with the audio? When we tried with the Roxio device and a fairly powerful computer we would get audio sync issues. Not horrible just noticeable. Also where are you located? We are in Washington state. I don't know if distance from Salt Lake could be a factor.

Thanks,
Jason
michaelfish

Post by michaelfish »

I use the Roxio USB dongle for many projects, not just webcasting (like capturing from analog video and audio sources) and have never had a problem with sync. Whenever an audio source is captured by different devices (i.e. video with a capture card and audio with the PC mic jack), there is usally an issue with sync. Since both the audio and video (composite or S-video) were captured at the same Roxio USB dongle, they have always been in sync.

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”