Bandwidth for Stake Conference

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Bandwidth for Stake Conference

Post by lajackson »

JohnShaw wrote:When we do our webcasts, we INFORM the receiving sites (I've done many single-stake, and many multi-stake webcasts) that if they are using wireless at the receiving computer, we will not guarantee anything, . . .

This is our best way to ensure that Wireless is disabled in the meetinghouse at the receiving end.
We are going to go to the receiving site next time, because they were not able to do it themselves and lost most of the broadcast.
harddrive

Post by harddrive »

In June of this year, we had our first real problem with stake conference broadcast and WIFI. Our stake was give the password to those who need it in leadership. However, this year that was changed to give it to those who asked. This created a huge problem. Like mentioned in this post, everyone has at least a cell phone using up the bandwidth and then you add on tablets, laptops and the list can go on and on that is has caused problems.

In on of our units, we had to shut down the WIFI so that the broadcast could be the best it could. Once we did that things got a lot better at the building. I also had to shut down the WIFI at the stake center. So WIFI is a HUGE issue.

So just shut it off for the three hours for stake conference. They don't need it anyway.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

harddrive wrote:In on of our units, we had to shut down the WIFI so that the broadcast could be the best it could. Once we did that things got a lot better at the building. I also had to shut down the WIFI at the stake center. So WIFI is a HUGE issue.

So just shut it off for the three hours for stake conference. They don't need it anyway.
Yes, shutting down the WiFi is recommended on both the upload and download ends of any webcast, even if you think you have ample bandwidth. It can help reduce the chance of an interrupted webcast that can seriously disrupt the spirit of the meeting for those viewing.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

We've seen a bit of a proliferation of this lately haven't we? How are people doing webcasts without turning off wifi in the building first, I think we've pretty well established that it is a MUST in any scenario.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

JohnShaw wrote:I think we've pretty well established that it is a MUST in any scenario.
Yes, and be sure to place guards at the door so someone doesn't try to reconnect the antennas to the firewall during the broadcast. [sigh]
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:Yes, and be sure to place guards at the door so someone doesn't try to reconnect the antennas to the firewall during the broadcast. [sigh]
Which tells me the firewall is not properly secured.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

right... our firewall is at the location we broadcast from, so not a huge deal for us....
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

russellhltn wrote:Which tells me the firewall is not properly secured.
Still unidentified, it was someone with a key who should have known better.

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”