Audio mixers

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

The other thing I wish mixers had was a "mono" button on the stereo channels. It seems most of the time we need a mono signal, but if you have a stereo source you have to run it into two channels to get the appropriate mono output.
Craig
South Jordan, UT
Aczlan

Post by Aczlan »

craiggsmith wrote:The other thing I wish mixers had was a "mono" button on the stereo channels. It seems most of the time we need a mono signal, but if you have a stereo source you have to run it into two channels to get the appropriate mono output.
My Mackie will mix down to mono if you ONLY plug into the left 1/4" main output channel. If you also plug into the right channel, it gives you stereo.

Aaron Z
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

Hmmm, as I think about it I wonder if I've missed an opportunity all these years. Those are balanced normalized jacks. If you just plug in one mono cable it will send the signal to both channels. If you plug in a TRS stereo jack it will assume it's a balanced mono signal, and I was thinking it would subtract one side from the other, but as I think about it one side is opposite in polarity to the other so I guess it must sum them. Is this correct? Then I guess it would actually work. And by the same principle I can sent a stereo into a single speaker via it's balanced input?

FYI I've found another mixer with an output level switch -- the Allen & Heath ZED10. A bit pricey for what you get but one of the best names in the business.
Craig
South Jordan, UT
KeithWilson

Post by KeithWilson »

Here are my top two recommendations for mixers:

The low end one is this, which can be bought at Amazon currently for $99:

Mackie 402-VLZ3 4-Channel Compact Recording-SR Audio Mixer
This mixer only takes two regular XLR microphone inputs, but can take two additional inputs from RCA cables. This is not very versatile for lots of inputs, but it would help quite a bit.

The higher end model I recommend is this one, which can be bought on Amazon currently for $208 (on sale):

Mackie PROFX8 8-Channel Compact Effects Mixer with USB

This one has eight channels in (only four are XLR, which is what most of our mics use, but it also takes a bunch of other formats in). Personally, if we are going to spend money on a mixer, it makes more sense to me to get one that has a greater amount of inputs (within reason, of course). This one is quite powerful for the cost and really gives you control over the audio before it gets into the church sound system (where controlling it is really quite limited).
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

craiggsmith wrote:If you plug in a TRS stereo jack it will assume it's a balanced mono signal, and I was thinking it would subtract one side from the other, but as I think about it one side is opposite in polarity to the other so I guess it must sum them. Is this correct?
No, this is not correct, sorry I wasn't thinking. A balanced input does indeed subtract the two signals -- this cancels the noise while doubling the signal (since one is inverted). If a stereo signal is input all the common components would be canceled.
Craig
South Jordan, UT

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”