Bandwidth Requirements - real world

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

RussellHltn wrote:Have you tried contributing to the Wiki? No time like the present. ;)
Yes, I have and do when I know the information is correct. For something like what is discussed in this thread concerning policy I will not. In this case I am not even certain there is not an exemption to the Handbook reference for webcasts.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jdlessley wrote:Yes, I have and do when I know the information is correct. For something like what is discussed in this thread concerning policy I will not. In this case I am not even certain there is not an exemption to the Handbook reference for webcasts.
I agree that we should be careful about updating the wiki for this topic without further communication. The section about the exception for streamed content was indeed put in there by a Church employee. Of course, employees are not perfect, so that doesn't mean that it is absolutely reliable, but we're talking about a nuance here. After all, the Handbook says to "see 18.3.1 for an exception" -- it doesn't say "see 18.3.1 for the one and only possible exception".
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
michaelfish

Post by michaelfish »

Please clarify handbook 2 21.2.10. "...making video recordings in chapels are not permitted (PERIOD?) ...(see 18.3.1 for an exception)..."

My question is: if there is no Presiding Area or General Authority (i.e. the Stake President is the presiding authority), and the Stake President wants Stake Conference recorded (for a couple of homebound members), should I instruct him that the handbook prohibits making video recordings in chapels, or is stake conference an exception to recording in chapels?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

michaelfish wrote:Please clarify handbook 2 21.2.10. "...making video recordings in chapels are not permitted (PERIOD?) ...(see 18.3.1 for an exception)..."

My question is: if there is no Presiding Area or General Authority (i.e. the Stake President is the presiding authority), and the Stake President wants Stake Conference recorded (for a couple of homebound members), should I instruct him that the handbook prohibits making video recordings in chapels, or is stake conference an exception to recording in chapels?
As I read it, the Handbook makes an absolute statement that no video recordings are permitted ("Taking photographs or making video recordings in chapels is not permitted.") The next sentence talks about broadcasts -- not recordings -- and this general prohibition on broadcasts of events held in the chapel does allow for an exception (stake conference as documented in 18.3.1).

That said, the stake president has the keys to interpret the handbook in his stake, and he also has access to area leaders who can clarify policy if he'd like to ask them.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

michaelfish wrote:My question is: if there is no Presiding Area or General Authority (i.e. the Stake President is the presiding authority), and the Stake President wants Stake Conference recorded (for a couple of homebound members), should I instruct him that the handbook prohibits making video recordings in chapels, or is stake conference an exception to recording in chapels?
This is an area we have discussed on the forums before. It appears that some posters to the forums believe that there is no exception to recording in the chapel. I am one of those by my reading of the Handbook. However proper authority can grant case by case exceptions. I do not believe the stake president has the authority to grant the exception. He should seek council from the area authorities for guidance on this matter.

The discussion in this thread has been around webcasting. Recording is a separate issue. Handbook 2, 21.2.10 addresses, in addition to photographs and recordings in the chapel, broadcasting events in the chapel over the internet. It then gives the citation for an exception for stake conference. That exception is only for broadcasting and not for recording.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
michaelfish

Post by michaelfish »

Thanks for clarifying!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

michaelfish wrote:My question is: if there is no Presiding Area or General Authority (i.e. the Stake President is the presiding authority), and the Stake President wants Stake Conference recorded (for a couple of homebound members), should I instruct him that the handbook prohibits making video recordings in chapels, or is stake conference an exception to recording in chapels?

I'll run with a slightly different take on this. If you're being asked to do something that appears to conflict with the handbook, I do think it's good to tactfully point that out. As a technical guy, you're probably more familiar with the sections that impact tech then someone who has a broad responsibility. Hopefully, that will cause the problem to be resolved to your satisfaction.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
pete.arnett

Meetinghouse Webcast Authorization

Post by pete.arnett »

Authorization:
  • General Authorities must provide authorization before you can webcast and/or record Stake Conferences or other meetings that are being presided over by General Authorities
  • Stake Presidents must provide authorization before you can webcast and/or record Stake Conferences or other meetings within their stake boundary
  • A webcast is an extension of the originating meeting and all rules apply at remote sites
Thanks,
:cool:Your Fellow Member,
Pete Arnett
Sunny South Florida, USA
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

pete.arnett wrote:
  • General Authorities must provide authorization before you can webcast and/or record Stake Conferences or other meetings that are being presided over by General Authorities
  • Stake Presidents must provide authorization before you can webcast and/or record Stake Conferences or other meetings within their stake boundary
  • A webcast is an extension of the originating meeting and all rules apply at remote sites

What is your source for these statements? They differ somewhat from the Handbook, so a source would be helpful.
rogerscr

Post by rogerscr »

Thanks for the policy reminder, if this is broadcast it will be under the direction of our Temple Presidency. If it comes up I will mention it to them, I am sure they have a direct line to the Area Presidency if needed. Many of our Temple Workers travel 5+ hrs each way and the presidency would like to avoid such a drive just for a fireside.

We will be broadcasting from the stake center out to the outlying stake centers in the temple region. I will be testing the stake center upload speeds tomorrow.

My main confusion was that the original Meetinghouse Webcast Communicator documentation lists the upload speed used and the recommended speed based on a 2x multiplier. It lists 200, 250 and 300 Kbps upload speeds for Good, Better and Best. This means you need 400, 500 or 600 Kbps upload capacity. Yet there is this 750 Kbps number on the same document without note and other documents show a 1400 Kbps speed for Best quality.

I currently plan to use a standard DV camera tapping into the composite video output (yellow jack) so we are talking basic SD video input for the system.

What speed do I really need to use in order to get good video of someone standing at the podium? Do I need more than 600 Kbps? Most ISPs around here max out upload at 769 Kbps or 840 Kbps.

As far as the receiving end I am assuming the 1.5x multiplier works just fine, download is always cheaper than upload.

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”